• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1.50 ratio...WTF

OutCast

This guy on "the other forum" going on how much of a rocket his AXYS 800 is with a 1.5 gear ratio... WTF
Someone enlighten me if its true a Polaris 800 goes better with a 1.5 ratio than a 1.68-1.74 ratio??

Hers a copy and paste of the conversation:
Stock is 22/37, gearing the machine 3 teeth taller and still able to use stock 68 chain ..24/36 is gearing but there is clutching that goes along with this combo..

MY RESPONSE: You are not "3 teeth taller" to speak exactly. You are 1 tooth count in the difference from stock. 59 teeth on the stock gears to 60 with your new combo. No stock chain can fit a 3 tooth increase.
With a 1.50 ratio Your sled must be a slug on the bottom to mid range.
Does it take you 3 miles to get at 116mph? A 1.50 ratio is craziness!

HIM: Ok I have to get off and push it to get it going then it s ok just like my 1100 turbo programed at 300 hp 131 mph on gps in 1800 feet I guess it's a slug to . What a joke to many no it all's lol
Maybe you should ask the doo guys that I ride with how much of a slug my pro s is they can't seem to ever get out front out of the gate midrange and top end xrs craps out at 105 and then it's see ya...

Last edited:
All I can say is these high center of gravity corner to corner ditch bangers are not lake race sleds

Well I read the thread, to each his own I guess. I can see doing that to a turbo makes sense to me. But a naturally aspirated 2 stroke, I don't understand. He must like big long pulls, high speed running. Here is my take, he wants to be able to go from one side of the lake to the other and that gear would work. I on the other hand want to run from a dead stop and go 660-1320 ft.That tall gear can't work in shorter distances. You would have to have big power to pull that gearing IMO

Like Doc said, to each his own. Maybe he likes to see what the ultimate topend is he can get with what he has. So what if he runs a 1/2 mile or more to get it.

Last edited:
I like to try and understand others theories but sometimes they just don't make sense.
I would rather the arm pulling torque of a lower gear combo, that still pulls good to 1000'.
Yup, to each his own!

There is no way a sled with a 1.50 ratio will EVER shift out into overdrive.
Horsepower will run out as wind resistance takes over. You would need a tear drop shaped bubble to cheat the wind at that speed.

I don't think anybody is saying that. I think he likes his gearing tall that's all . His choice , I would only gear that way if the sled made tons of torque and ran less then 8000 rpm like an old ZR900.

Yes, each to their own I guess.

To me it's not practical. It's a axys chassis with a high center of gravity so your fighting top end numbers right there. Plus the sled doesn't have the torque down low in stock form , so your fighting that too.

Slam.it down and its better. I did that to mine and it's fast , but it's still not lake crazy fast like the old gen2 chassis xcr 800 I had.

I'm like Eddie and Heath, I like 0-660 or 1200' fast.

Yes, each to their own I guess.

To me it's not practical. It's a axys chassis with a high center of gravity so your fighting top end numbers right there. Plus the sled doesn't have the torque down low in stock form , so your fighting that too.

Slam.it down and its better. I did that to mine and it's fast , but it's still not lake crazy fast like the old gen2 chassis xcr 800 I had.

I'm like Eddie and Heath, I like 0-660 or 1200' fast.
I'm quoting somebody who I talked to today when I say this "it should get to top end by the time it gets to Alberta". :DDiv20

Back
Top Bottom