• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

15 Switchback 800. No start.

Romulus91

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2015 switchback assault 800
Having an issue i just cannot figure out on this machine. Took it for a ride a week ago saturday. 112km into the ride it just died and would not restart. Trailered it home and put it in my heated garage. After lots of testing and thinking figured out the sled was only outputting 11.4V. Was able to supply power straight to fuel pump then it fires right up, Follow up testing probing power at the plug for my heated visor proved low voltage. So thinking stator or regulator right? .... Well.... Tested once more to just be sure sure and wouldn't you know as im testing voltage I watch it jump up to 14.4V. unhook direct power to fuel pump and it runs... Perfectly..... Started and shut it down 10 times with no issue over a few days. Took it for a 10km ride no issue.... Rode it all day yesterday and again today. 200km later it did it again. Sled just died on trail. No hesitation or warning signs just bam like I hit the kill switch (didn't! I promise) Trailered it home again. Inside the garage, Hook power straight to fuel pump it fires up. Test voltage shows 11.4V again. wiggle some things around thinking maybe by some dumb luck its a pinched wire or something. No change, but then a minute later its running at 14+V again?... Am I onto something with a broken wire grounding out anywhere? Any known weak points i should check first? Anything else it could be? Or am I just wasting time and this is a stator crapping out?
I'll mention as well the sled is completely stock without any add ons or mods.

Sounds like somethings overheating and quitting. Thats why it takes a while to do it.
First thing I would do is change all the relays in the sled to the Panasonic ones from DigiKey. Search the older threads on here that talk about that, factory ones were chinese crap. Its possible the load shed relay is sticking, I'm guessing that probably isn't the problem, but they are prone to failure and the cheapest place to start.
While you are waiting for the relays I would check the stator & regulator. Theres a link to download the manual in the thread below, pages 9.61 & 9.63 are the stator & regulator info.

Sounds like somethings overheating and quitting. Thats why it takes a while to do it.
First thing I would do is change all the relays in the sled to the Panasonic ones from DigiKey. Search the older threads on here that talk about that, factory ones were chinese crap. Its possible the load shed relay is sticking, I'm guessing that probably isn't the problem, but they are prone to failure and the cheapest place to start.
While you are waiting for the relays I would check the stator & regulator. Theres a link to download the manual in the thread below, pages 9.61 & 9.63 are the stator & regulator info.
You sir gave me exactly the info needed to reach the next step. Ordering relays. Started testing. Following that the stator's black to black wires i have over .6 resistance when i should be seeing .2 other numbers are all in spec. Black to black seems to be the circuit for the fuel pump and oil pump and others. Deffinately need to repair it/replace. So my next step is to pull the stator. I havent searched these forums for a step by step on how to do so but if anyone has that knowledge it would be appreciated. I am pretty mechanically inclined just not the most familiar with these beasts.

That manual you downloaded should walk you right thru it, with all the torque specs and the gap settings for the pickups too. Look back in the engine section.
You might be able to get that one repaired, worth reaching out to RMstator on your side of the border and see what they say
I would also caution using aftermarket parts, havent heard anything good about using them for electrical.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom