• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

17' Assault Stage 2+ best trail setup?

matthew coull

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2017 Assault AXYS Stage 2+
Hello. I'm fresh meat to this forum! I have a 17' assault Stage 2 slp and was wondering a few things about it. I have fooled and fooled with clutching/gearing and cant seem to get it to work as I intend it to. I'm trying my best to gear it up for aggressive trail riding/660ft drags. with the slp reflash I'm running 50/50 AVgas since I'm at low alt. when compared to stock it seems to not put one bit from it. I have 23/37 gearing and was wondering if that was to tall. I stepped back and forth from stock gearing to a couple of options I had laying around. They all seem to do the same thing. I hit 85MPH and it seems to fall on its face. top I've seen was 102-104MPH on pretty hardpacked trail (GPS) my father has a stock 18' and has no problem pulling past 108-110MPH on multiple occasions on good trail conditions. (Both 1.352'' cobra) Clutching was just cleaned and rebuilt and the engine is solid. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as tightening my limiter strap to create less ground resistance. I weight a whooping 155LBS so I'm not 100% the issue... I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Matt.

UPDATE: changed a few things around including the helix going back to stock and limiter strap, got out last night for a cruise it it hauled much stronger from 30-80mph. Hauled 3 lengths on 850 assault stock trails where not the best so couldn't stay in it. hopefully issue has been solved but I'm afraid the fix isn't that easy.
Matt.

I was just gonna say. Put your other sleds clutches on it and see what it does. Or put the clutching back to stock and see what happens . What is the clutching now. And what is included in the kit. Why do you feel it needs a 50/50 blend.? Did you raise the compression ?

I was just gonna say. Put your other sleds clutches on it and see what it does. Or put the clutching back to stock and see what happens . What is the clutching now. And what is included in the kit. Why do you feel it needs a 50/50 blend.? Did you raise the compression ?
not sure the exact compression value on the SLP head, spoke to a lad from SLP and he told me to feel it out. run pump and if it's detonating up the octane. sure enough, I had to. I understand I could be running hotter with pump fuel, but I'm sure it wouldn't make a world of difference when it comes to power. not sure of the weights in the primary because I bought it second hand with just the clutch kit. if I had to guess I think they are around 68g. stock helix is 58/44 .36 if I can remember correctly. primary is a 160/340 and secondary is now a 145/215. might drop the primary down to a 320 on the top end and revert the gearing back to 23/40. seems to bog hard out of a dig now. yet to let it dance up top, trails are dogsh*t haha. going for a run tonight, and have drug out a 660ft in the field in the back 40 for my buddy's crazy ass nytro. ill give er a go tonight and let you know what happens. like I said I'm mostly trail riding/ 660ft running so I'm not entirely concerned about back-shifting, more or less progressive up-shifting to suit the power added. still not sure why its dying past 85mph, and I'm running out of ideas. could it be something as simple as track/chain case tension? Thanks,
Matt.

The first thing I would do would be to pull the clutches and varify what’s in them. Yes stock helix was 58/44.36. I would look and see what’s in it for weight. Make sure it’s a 10 and not 11 weight. 11 may be quicker in short run but usually fall off on top end. Make sure the weight tips are not grinding into primary. What is included in that slp stage 2 kit. I’m assuming pipe ,y pipe , can. Head ,

The first thing I would do would be to pull the clutches and varify what’s in them. Yes stock helix was 58/44.36. I would look and see what’s in it for weight. Make sure it’s a 10 and not 11 weight. 11 may be quicker in short run but usually fall off on top end. Make sure the weight tips are not grinding into primary. What is included in that slp stage 2 kit. I’m assuming pipe ,y pipe , can. Head ,
don't know why I keep saying stage 2 lol. heads, pipe, reflash, can and "clutching". stage 2 is all of that without heads and reflash. I guess I should call it stage 3. not sure what you mean by 10 or 11 weights, are you referring to mass centering or something else?

Last edited:
If it has polaris weights in it. They could be 10-68 or 11-68 for example. Try 11 series is a bit more agressive on bottom than the 10 series. But the 10s generally pull better mph out the back door

If it has polaris weights in it. They could be 10-68 or 11-68 for example. Try 11 series is a bit more agressive on bottom than the 10 series. But the 10s generally pull better mph out the back door
put about 250 miles on this weekend. I took the look. they are 10-71 weights. dropped the spring from 160-340 to 145-320. fresh belt and plugs (BPR9ES not BPR8ES). seem to help a bit. no problem to 95mph or so. crawled up to 117 on gps a few times. think whatever was happening is solved. hauls much better from 30-80mph aswell. absolute monster 800 there now. had a studded apex and mcxepress nytro on the ropes in 660ft. (nytro wasn't hooking). thank you for your help Lid1!

Back
Top Bottom