• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

18 SKS 146/155 or SB Assault 144

EliteRen1

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2005 SkiDoo Mach Z
Hey Guys (and Gals),

I've been riding for over 25 years but the "newest" sled I've been on is my 2006 Mach Z. I'm currently SnowChecking a new sled for my wife and myself. We've decided on a SB 600 for her but I'm having a little trouble pulling the trigger for my sled. I know the sleds have changed dramatically since my Z but I'm getting a lot of chatter from people I talk to (specifically dealers) and I just want some real riders to give me a little (positive) feedback on what I'm thinking.

First, we live in CT (yes, I know we get nothing compared to you guys out west when it comes to snow) and ride primarily in VT, NH, ME and a trip or 2 to Canada every year. We do ride on our 8 acre property (flatland) and have 78 acres of opens space that we ride on now with the Mach Z. Our riding right now consists of 100% riding on trails or a few lakes when we leave the state to ride. However, after some of the bigger storms here in CT (over 12") it's a pain in the a$$ to ride on our property because of the suspension travel on the Mach Z. I'm also a bigger guy - 6'1" 240lbs.

Sooo....my thought was to go with a 144 or 146 track sled with a 2" lug. But I read a few forum posts and watched some YouTube vids of bigger guys saying that a 155 worked better for them. When I went to a few local CT dealers here they looked at me funny when I told them I was looking into an SKS 155 and keep leaning me toward an Assault 144 saying the SKS 155 would kill trails and would ride like crap - and eventually trash the sled. My argument was that although we ride trails now when we head out of state, we plan on doing a few western trips with the new sleds and there are plenty of places for me to bang around in up north of CT with a 155.

Can you guys offer some constructive thoughts on the topic. I'm not sure if the topic has been beat to hell already or not and if it has if you can link the tread then that would be helpful. I just don't want to buy a 144/146 and be annoyed after a season of getting stuck or feeling like a 155 would have been the right way to go.....thanks everyone....

Go with the SBA 144" with the 1.352" track. And you can buy a 1.75" Back Country if thats not enough for you but saying you rind 100% trails you dont need a big lug Track. The 1.352 Cobra on the 144" skid will hook and work fine for your driving conditions.

We had one couple bought 800 for him and 600 for her. 600 came back 2 weeks later. She wanted 800.

The 1.3 track would be good if you just stay on trails.

I put a lot of trail miles on my 2" track. No problem.

I believe the 800 is like 1lb lighter then the 600 I read somewhere

Sent from Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.....this is the wife's 1st sled. Doubt she'll complain for a few seasons on a 600. She doesn't like my Z (too fast for her). She has sat on the SB and loved the rider height.

As for me - let me just clarify a couple things. I realize my current riding situation suggests that I go with a smaller lug sled. The whole idea (in my head anyway) is to start to open up the riding possibilities by going with a longer track sled with taller lugs - to actually be able to boondock or freeride more than shorter tracked sleds with shorter lugs. I DON'T want to continue JUST trail riding. I, personally, would rather be able to take advantage of deeper snow here locally in CT when we have it and then add more off-trail trips with the new sleds.

Also, the weight of the SB Assault is like 40lbs heavier than the SKS....so there's that too I guess....

Another thing to keep in mind is sks are very narrow for tipping it on side for side hilling compared to the switchback assault. Also the sks 155 suspension is horrible for trail riding. The assault switchback is much better all around sled. And for 18 there is also the 146 sks option which is same as assault switchback but with narrow front end and powder track.

I will tell you for sure the sks 155 sucks bad for trail riding any at all. The 146 sks will be much better on trail with the igx skid but still have the powder track and narrow front end. You will destroy the track doing a lot of trail riding though. To me it sounds like the switchback assault with 2 inch track is the way to go.

Regardless keep in mind sleds have come a long way and a 120 inch track sled would ride circles around your Mach z in deep snow. The sks 155 are huge and made for climbing mountains they ride like a lumber wagon anywhere else. It seems like you have gotten caught up in the burandt videos and the bigger Is better mountain sleds are the coolest thing ever trend but being in Ct you have to be honest with yourself. Those rmk/sks 155 are made to climb mountains.

Last edited:
I also agree 800 is only way to go. The 600 is actually heavier, gets worse mpg, has no resale value
Add to the equation that I have 4 kids and the wife's sled, should she want to upgrade, will go to our daughter next....no reselling

The way I see it from the information given is?

Choose the 800 assault with the 1.6" or 2.0"track and igx rear suspension .

You'll love it

Assault with a 1.6 cobra track.

Narrow front end will be pretty tippy in the corners on trail.

once you start playing off trail you wont stop. 2" track works awesome all round

Add to the equation that I have 4 kids and the wife's sled, should she want to upgrade, will go to our daughter next....no reselling
I'm also in the process of a new preorder sled, I have it narrowed down now to the switchback assault 144 800 but not sure which track to get, I like on and off trail riding about 50/50 just wondering should I get the 1.6 or the 2.0.....recently had a sled with the 1.75....any suggestions guys

This would be my choice .

I'd choose the 1.6" cobra because the last 1/4" of lug flexs and would do better in hard pack trails. It bends to help on hard pack, but stays firm in powder .
Just a thought

This would be my choice .

I'd choose the 1.6" cobra because the last 1/4" of lug flexs and would do better in hard pack trails. It bends to help on hard pack, but stays firm in powder .
Just a thought
so you think the 1.6 would be better than the 2.0

2" is a big paddle for the trail.

Hard on hyfax as you're 2" off the snow.
Off trail is fun, but be honest with yourself as to what you'll be doing majority of the time.

1.6 is a good compromise of on and off trail.

Still studable if wanted

How is the 1.6 going to effect drag racing? In thinking about choosing it but don't want to get smoked on top end because bigger lugs

I put just over 1100 miles on my 2" SBA this year, mostly trail, if you go with a 2" just add a set of scratchers for bad trail days and you will be good. The SKS would be my choice today - the adjustable ski stance and gripper skis would be worth it to me - SKS on wide is 41 and SBA is 42.5, unless you are really pushing things on the trail it will work just fine. IMO.

If sks came with track option I might get one but 2.25 powder track?? That's not gonna hold up to trail riding. Cruising down trail at 75-80 lugs will fly off lol.

Also I know 3 people that put the 1.6 cobra on for last season and they all already switched them out because of broken lugs and what not one got replaced under warranty

I have had good luck with deep lug tracks - 137 Freeride with 2.25 (A friend still rides this sled - over 4000 miles and no problems with track.), 146 Summit with 2.5 and now SBA with 2" - (The Summit did vibrate on hard pack and I put the Dupont slides on when I had to replace the stock ones) but I never lost any lugs on any of the sleds, had scratchers on all of them for bad trail days. My opinion is to buy a sled for what you want to ride - if you want to ride more off trail buy the 146 SKS (you will find yourself looking for deep snow), Will the 146 SKS be as good as the SBA on trail - no, will it be ok - yes, will it be better off trail - I think so. Either are great choices and the OP would enjoy either.

I have a 17 SBA with the 1.3. I was absolutely amazed at what it could do off trail. From playing in a meadow with 18+ inches of powder to crawling around trees in the woods to riding power lines. The sled never missed a beat. It almost made riding to easy. I had no problems keeping up with racer boy trail sleds either. On of my buddies has a 17SKS, we had to wait for him at most intersections..

Back
Top Bottom