• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1994 Indy 440 Cylinder Block Bolts Loosened Up

Wilsonsk1966

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1994 Indy 440
My 440 Indy has ran worse and worse over the winter, boggy, hard to start. I was looking it over today and found 5 of the 7 cylinder block Nuts missing, and one of the remaining 2 was finger tight. The middle one on the carb side was tight, the left/center on the exhaust side was there but finger tight. I bought it 3 years ago, the seller works on sleds, said he had “ gone through the motor”, not sure wha t he meant by that. i haven.t been able to check compression yet, I did look down the plug holes, tops of the pistons are spotless and shiny. I am assuming he forgot to torque them or didn‘t torque them enough. I’m thinking gaskets from the cylinder block up, any other thoughts?
Thanks,

Steve

Put a new base gasket in it and torque it to spec, if torqued right they won't loosen up so they were never tight to start with.

I ordered a top end gasket kit, I thought I’d check the head nut torque and If they were tight just leave the head on the block. I don’t really want to pull the head of the block if I don’t need to, if the compression test comes out ok.

Don't get to too wrapped up in a compression test. I don't know anyone out there that has ever had their compression gauge calibrated. About all they are good for is if you're using the gauge for comparative reasons (from one cylinder to another) or if it's extremely low. I took two brand new out-of-box gauges, one Craftsman and one Snap-On, they showed a 20 PSI difference on the same motor.

Don't get to too wrapped up in a compression test. I don't know anyone out there that has ever had their compression gauge calibrated. About all they are good for is if you're using the gauge for comparative reasons (from one cylinder to another) or if it's extremely low. I took two brand new out-of-box gauges, one Craftsman and one Snap-On, they showed a 20 PSI difference on the same motor.
I understand on the compression tester, I just want to make sure they are similar And look for major issues, the tops of the pistons are spotless and shiny, not sure how much air it was sucking in running with the jugs loose.

Back
Top Bottom