• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

1996 xlt sp being finicky

Donk106

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1996 polaris xlt sp
Good evening fellow snowmobilers. I have a situation that maybe someone has experienced and could offer some advice. I have a 1996 polaris xlt sp with the 597 cc triple. 38mm carbs. I have replaced all fuel lines including in tank. Carbs have been cleaned. Cleaned and cleaned. Set pilot air screw to 1.0 turn out from lightly seated as per book. I have spark in all 3 cylinders and compression is 122 in all 3 cylinders. Here is my question. It sounds like I’m not running on all 3 I have run the sled and adjusted air pilot screw in to about 3/4-5/8 Can you go further out from the 1.0 turn to get it to run smoother? I know that by doing so you are leaning it out. Before all this. I had it out on trail and seemed fine and responsive. When I turned around to come back. It seemed as though a cable let go and one of the slides was not raising. All three carbs are synced and pull up at same time.

New plugs? Are you sure all 3 are firing?

Good evening fellow snowmobilers. I have a situation that maybe someone has experienced and could offer some advice. I have a 1996 polaris xlt sp with the 597 cc triple. 38mm carbs. I have replaced all fuel lines including in tank. Carbs have been cleaned. Cleaned and cleaned. Set pilot air screw to 1.0 turn out from lightly seated as per book. I have spark in all 3 cylinders and compression is 122 in all 3 cylinders. Here is my question. It sounds like I’m not running on all 3 I have run the sled and adjusted air pilot screw in to about 3/4-5/8 Can you go further out from the 1.0 turn to get it to run smoother? I know that by doing so you are leaning it out. Before all this. I had it out on trail and seemed fine and responsive. When I turned around to come back. It seemed as though a cable let go and one of the slides was not raising. All three carbs are synced and pull up at same time.
I am brand new to this site. I have a similar problem with my 96 XLT Sp. I got a new throttle cable put on at the shop and now I have a bog when I take off. It idles at 1200 rpm now after it is fully warmed up. I usually do the work on the sled myself but my work schedule has been very busy lately.

First you should determine one of three things, is it flooding (or leaning) the engine with fuel, is the ignition intermittent, is there a mechanical condition.

Back
Top Bottom