• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2002 Indy 500 carb issue

Yeah it should, mine was taken out by a piece of plastic the size of a pinhead that stuck the float. Plus none of the original seals were ethanol compliant back then, so guaranteed the float orings are shot.
A utility sleds much better for what you are using it for, most of those have a shiftable 2 speed chaincase which is better if you are towing a sled. Polaris had the widetrack series for years and now the Titan.
My advice is stick to something carbureted whatever you buy, EFI is way too complicated and too much crap to break for what you intend to use it for.

Yeah it should, mine was taken out by a piece of plastic the size of a pinhead that stuck the float. Plus none of the original seals were ethanol compliant back then, so guaranteed the float orings are shot.
A utility sleds much better for what you are using it for, most of those have a shiftable 2 speed chaincase which is better if you are towing a sled. Polaris had the widetrack series for years and now the Titan.
My advice is stick to something carbureted whatever you buy, EFI is way too complicated and too much crap to break for what you intend to use it for.
Well finally received the rebuild kit and I bought two main jets so all of the inside jets were replaced. Replaced all of the gaskets except the bottom of the fuel pan main center bolt because I wasn’t sure if the kit I bought came with that o ring. I even looked at them and said to myself they look pretty flat I should just replace it. However I really wanted to run the sled to see if the crank was spun and also see if I could get it to run. So I put it back on the sled. It fired right up. ran beautiful. Took it for a 15 min drive around 4:45. Came back and parked it. Tried starting it around 8. Fired right back up. Idled great earlier and wouldn’t stall our. As I was pulling it into the garage on the wheels i left it idling for probably 3-5 min while I shifted sleds and sxs around and it maybe started to get a little boggy while idling in the driveway. As I jumped on it to pull it into the garege I thought I could smell gas and I look under the sled and there was a little puddle of it. I shine under the carb and one of them is dripping good so I shut the fuel off. Looks like the center bolt o ring however until I get the carbs off I won’t know if maybe the upper fuel pan gasket shifted but I doubt it. Fml! I knew better but figured I’ll give it a try. With this lesson I said screw it and ordered new oem floats with needles because if I have it off I don’t want to find out one of the floats needles is grooved and is still flooding the motor very slowly. So I’m replacing those after they come back off. Hopefully that cure everything and no more messing with it this year.

A question I have for you is should I fog this motor again while it’s running or pour some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a few days to lube everything up in the crank case again? I did it after I took the carbs off. I sprayed in the cylinder holes, moved the crank so the cylinders went up and down and sprayed down in as best I could, sprayed in the spark plug holes and tried shooting some into the drain holes into the crank case. There was a ton of gas in that crank case. Even the muffler had probably 2 to 3 shot glasses full of gas in it from the first go around.

Wouldn't hurt to pull the spark plugs and shoot some in thru the carb boots while pulling it over since you are pulling the carbs again anyway. It'll get pushed up into the cylinders while you are pulling it over so I wouldn't worry about putting some down the plug holes this time

Wouldn't hurt to pull the spark plugs and shoot some in thru the carb boots while pulling it over since you are pulling the carbs again anyway. It'll get pushed up into the cylinders while you are pulling it over so I wouldn't worry about putting some down the plug holes this time
Thanks. Operator error. Rushing trying to get it back on my sled and my 8 year old wanting his 120 out to ride at the same time the pan was twisted just enough to where the corner with the dimple wasn’t fully seated causing it to leak. 100 percent guaranteed I would be done with the issue but mid next week I have brand new oem
Float with needles coming. I’m switching them for a piece of mind while they’re off again. Still almost unbelievable a recommended mechanic from my local
Motor sports place couldn’t do what I just did. I brought the damn thing back to him three different times. Oh well it’s fixed now. Do you know anything about the workhorse machines from
Any of the companies?

Yeah not sure what he was thinking, all those seals take a set & fail after a while from the crappy gas these days.
Did the dealer recommend him or just tell you he is someone who will work on older stuff? I know they avoid older iron like the plague for fear of running up a bill more than the machines worth and someone walking away and leaving it there.

My knowledge is limited on the utility machines, other than looking some over that the lodge owner has for hunting at one place I stay at. They look like for the most part they are the same as trail machines with wider tracks and beefier chaincases.
Like I said above, I would probably stick to a carbureted model. EFI is nice but way more electronic crap to break, possibly leaving you stranded.

Back
Top Bottom