• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2003 SKS 700 Issues

CaterpillarR1700G

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2003 Polaris SKS 700 144"
Hey all, Got a Question for you,
I'm running an 03 SKS 700 144', Does anyone know what the Stock jetting is for this sled? It's got 450's in it right now.

I haven't been able to get it running right no matter what I do. She runs great at Idle to 3/4 Throttle but absolutely falls flat on it's face at WOT. It's hard to explain the issue, Think of an obnoxious Straight piped Subaru hitting rev limiter, Almost like that :):)

Thought maybe spark was breaking down at high RPM but a spark test proved that not to be the case. Plugs stay nice and tan, So not too sure what to think at this point.

450s are stock for 10 -30 degrees F . At 0-2000ft elevation

What happens if you warm sled up on stand bring it up to engagement then crack throttle right to bar does it bog for a second or pop ? What rpm is it at when you go wide open and it breaks up ? Or does it do it as soon as it goes to bar regardless of rpm. Have you ck. Throttle free play and throttle safety switch. There is a way to bypass this but I can't remember what it is maybe somebody else will chime in on that

What happens if you warm sled up on stand bring it up to engagement then crack throttle right to bar does it bog for a second or pop ? What rpm is it at when you go wide open and it breaks up ? Or does it do it as soon as it goes to bar regardless of rpm. Have you ck. Throttle free play and throttle safety switch. There is a way to bypass this but I can't remember what it is maybe somebody else will chime in on that

Thanks for the Reply. With the sled warmed up on a stand, it does not bog at all or even hesitate. She takes right off wonderfully untill around 7000 RPM and then It will start to break up, And if you continue holding it it will climb to 7500 but then drop back slowly to 7000... I thought of the throttle safety switch as well and made sure that there is free play in the throttle.

• The breaking up is tough to Internet diag. I've seen for many reasons . Is it fair to assume you have made sure the carbs are free of any blockages and setting are correct or at least close ? Carb boots not torn. Are the valves clean bellows intact and pressure ports from cyl clean not just the larger hole but the deeper hole that's smaller where it actually enters the cyl. Bore. Have you had anything unplugged ? Temp sensor and wire they can cause a break up and popping . Try revingvit up and bumping the choke see if it cleans it up then you know you have a mixture issue. If all that is ok ck crank phase. I know I'm not pinpointing anything for you but just giving refresher on things to look at. That will cause breaking up ,stuttering condition ,and inability to rev and hold rpm

• The breaking up is tough to Internet diag. I've seen for many reasons . Is it fair to assume you have made sure the carbs are free of any blockages and setting are correct or at least close ? Carb boots not torn. Are the valves clean bellows intact and pressure ports from cyl clean not just the larger hole but the deeper hole that's smaller where it actually enters the cyl. Bore. Have you had anything unplugged ? Temp sensor and wire they can cause a break up and popping . Try revingvit up and bumping the choke see if it cleans it up then you know you have a mixture issue. If all that is ok ck crank phase. I know I'm not pinpointing anything for you but just giving refresher on things to look at. That will cause breaking up ,stuttering condition ,and inability to rev and hold rpm

Thanks! I Appreciate it all,
I've cleaned the carbs, Checked boots and reeds, Cleaned exhaust valves, And adjusted and re adjusted a few times. Choking it while running just makes it bog right down, and as for sensors, I haven't checked any yet. Didn't think the temp sensor on it would affect anything, Will check that out today. Other than that, just about the only thing i haven't checked is the crank, which i will also do today.

The temp sensor could effect it as far as (if I remember correctly it's been awhile) if it thinks it's hot it will break up and stutter the sled It's not just to turn a light on

I had one once that somebody else did an engine replacement in and hook the wrong wire to the temp sensor and it stuttered banged and popped wouldn't rev. Which is why I was wondering if you had it unplugged

Back
Top Bottom