• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2004 polaris touring loosing power

Georg Caroll

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2003 Polaris frontier touring 800
good evening everyone. Ive just gotten back into sledding in the past 2 years and have very much appreciated the advice on this site but i have a problem i cant solve. im mechanically incluned but still learning how to wrench in these sleds. 2 years ago i bought a 2004 touring 800 for my wife. It had 1500 miles and was perfect condition, fluids were clean etc. I lubed everything, changed the fluids belts and plugs and such anyway after i bought it just so i had a baseline and the first two trips out it ran great no issues. But on the last trip it made some grinding type noise when we started the day but ran fine after it warmed up but after a couple hours it got into some deep powder and started to make loud metallic type noise and the track wouldn't spin consistently and we had to tow it to the top of a trail but were able to drive it with very limited power back to the trailhead. So this year i bought new belts, changed chaincase fluid(some metalic showing in there buy no chunks), adjusted the chain per the manual, pulled and cleaned the secondary clutch and we took it out. It ran great and after a couple hours it did the same thing, it lost consistent power, made that metalic sound and would only run a hundred yards at low speed and then die or bog down. It also intermittently has a slap sound i assume was the belt engaging. If i get off the throttle i could usually get it to go a short distance again and then id have to let it go back to idle. when i tried to restart it sometimes it would turn the track and the sled would go on its own other times it stayed put. i again limped it back to the trailhead. I checked the secondary clutch spring its in good shape and i had the primary looked at by a mechanic, he said it was good, but it was on the machine. im at a loss and could sure use some advice. There is literally only one mechanic in my area that can work on it and he hurt his back so im stuck and cant take the family our without this sled. Any advice would be appreciated.

i would also add that before i cleaned up the secondary the belt deflection was way off and it was riding very deep like an inch inside the clutch but now it almost gets up to level with the top of the clutch. the adjusting ring on the secondary clutch seems to do nothing when i tried to move it around.

and also the driveshaft on the secondary and the bearing area look discolored, almost bronze it makes me think it may be discolored from heat.

Back
Top Bottom