• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2004 XCSP 500 motor swap

Polaris04CLE

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2004 Polaris XCSP 500
Hello,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if I post this in the incorrect location. 2 years ago I got a 2004 XCSP with the liberty 500. I love it. Looks and rides great. However with the 500 motor the top end speed is lacking a little. I was curious as what i would have to change to make it a 600 or even 700. I'm assuming the bore is bigger so the entire engine would need replaced. If I found a used one for sale what else would I need? Clutch? Motor mounts? Computer? etc. Thanks for your help a head of time.

Brandon

The 700 is completely different. Nothing will interchange. The 500 ves and 600 ves motors use the same case and crank. You can put 600 cylinders, ves valves, pistons,head/head cover on your bottom end. The actual valve blocks are the same between motors with the actual valves being different. A complete set of 600 carbs would also help, but the carb bodies are the same. both 38 mm. You could buy all the appropriate jets,slides,needles,nozzles etc for your carbs and change those internals, but a used set of 600 setup carbs would probably be cheaper. Over the years there have been different pipes used on these motors. You 500 pipe will work fine, if a 600 pipe is easily and cheaply found go that route. The Y pipes are the same. The timing curve is different, as is the actual base timing.. You will need the 600 cdi box. Clutching changes will be needed. A well tuned 500ves will run within 3-5 mph on topend of what a 600ves will run. Think about that. I did several of these change overs years ago. Pretty simple. Below is one I did. A little dremel work on the 6 makes it look like the 500 . You have to really now what your looking at to catch that.

500head_001.jpg

660 the 600 while you're at it

Can't argue with that Brock. I still have a Carls Cycle 660. Many places say they won't do one any longer though on the old 600ves carbed cylinders though.

i know where theres a 1997 xc700 220 jugs totally rebuilt complete with exhaust for $600 even come with cdi harness etc...

Back
Top Bottom