• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

2011 550 Shift Won't Idle

Paul Marvin

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2011 Polaris IQ Shift 550N
1997 Polaris Indy 500
Hello! I'm having trouble with my 550 Shift - it won't idle. It only has 1900 miles and has been trouble-free up to this point. However, it was fogged and sat for a couple years...

It fires up easy, but needs at least half-choke and a bit of throttle to stay running. It'll run with no choke, but it dies after about 20-30 seconds. I put new plugs in it. I also removed the carburetors and cleaned them. I've adjusted the idle screws in, out, etc. After reading other threads, it sounds like it could be a choke issue. How do I adjust this? If not the choke, what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Paul

Replace pilot jets in carb. Item #26, Polaris Part# 3130066

0_1.png

When you get the new jets do a test fit with your best screwdriver. Find a screwdriver that fits perfect across the entire slot on the jet. Flip the carb upside down on the bench and put a fair amount of pressure on the screwdriver so you don't strip the slot on the jet when taking your old ones out. It's a pain to get them out if you strip the slot. Be ready to kill the motor (or get the track off the ground) when you first start it, if you moved the idle screws it's possible you turned them in and it will drive off without you when it fires.

Back
Top Bottom