1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Switchback Assault 146 Track

Discussion in 'Switchback Assault' started by Boss 302, Mar 24, 2020 at 6:15 PM.

1. Boss 302

Boss 302 New Member

USA
    Years Snowmobiling:
    40+
    Snowmobile:
    2020 Indy XC 137 850
    So I'm thinking about Snow Checking the new Switchback Assault 146. I ride in Idaho and Montana. I'm trying to decide which track size. I want to be able to still have a decent groomed trail ride. I know the 1.35 won't be enough for the deep stuff. And the studded 1.5 is really unnecessary because mostly powder out here. It really comes down to the 1.6" or 2" track. Just curious what y'all think?

Thanks!

3. Turtle

Turtle New Member

USA
    Years Snowmobiling:
    Snowmobile:
    2020 Polaris Switchback Assault 850
    2017 Polaris Switchback 800 Pro S LE
    I'd recommend the 2". My riding is a 60/40 mix of trail/off trail. I have a 2020 Assault with the 1.6 Cobra and I don't like it for either. For on trail it works fine for most conditions. But it real hard pack you can feel the lugs fold over when you are hard on the throttle. In off trail situations, it's poor. In my experience it will stay on top of the snow pretty well, but when you really need some power, it will trench down pretty quick. I think it has to do with the fact that the lugs are placed close together - meaning they are spaced in a pattern where they are on every bar. This doesn't leave enough room between lugs to really grab the snow.

I also have a 2017 Switchback Pro S, but that sled has a 1.75" Hurricane track on it. Even with a shorter track and a closed-off tunnel design, I can off trail ride it almost better than my Assault with the 1.6". And the 1.75" does great on the trail. I will be swapping my Assault track out this summer for a 1.75" or 2".

In your case, I would definitely get the 2" and you will have no issues. The new 2" track Polaris has coming out for the 146" Matryx Assault is supposed to have a harder compound making it better for trail use. And if you find that 2" is too much, you can always trim it back to 1.75". That option is a whole lot cheaper than upgrading to a larger lug if you find you made the wrong choice on getting the sled with a shorter lug.

4. Rbell14

Rbell14 Member

USA
    Years Snowmobiling:
    Snowmobile:
    2021 Indy VR1 850
    2016 Rush Pro S 600

You may find this interesting...

5. Boss 302

Boss 302 New Member

USA
    Years Snowmobiling:
    40+
    Snowmobile:
    2020 Indy XC 137 850
    Thank you. This is exactly the advice I was looking for! I will definitely go with the 2".

6. Boss 302

Boss 302 New Member

USA
    Years Snowmobiling:
    40+
    Snowmobile:
    2020 Indy XC 137 850
    Yes. Thank you. This was a great review on this sled! I'm going to go with the new 650 Patriot.