• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

850 CLUTCHING

Doorite

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2019 Polaris 850 XC, 2019 Ski Doo 900T X
Wondering if anybody has gotten into any R&D on clutching the 850 and if there is any good info or kits out yet. These sleds fall on their face at 95-100 mph and my clutch isn't shifting full out. I am currently running 8350-8450 for rpms for the last 150 miles or so, its up 100-200rpms. I have close to 600 miles on now.

I would try 2 more gram with a stiffer spring if i were you! should bring it to 8100! you may also have a backshift problem if falling so soon.. so maybe a stiffer rear spring could do the trick! (excuse my english)

I have tried the heavier spring in the driven clutch but it was slower top end and lazy on the trail when mashed at half speed. I have ended up with slp ramps, heavy tip weight with 5 more weights putting me at 73.4 grams and it works really well. 8250 rpms out of the hole settling to 8200 rpms on short/mid pulls and 8150 on long pulls....... it woke the sled up!

I have Dalton QAP-4 weights, gold primary spring, P2 with a 140-200 spring and a Dalton 60-44/.45 helix. I had to put in a softer primary spring cause it over revs down low and slowly drops to 8100. I have seen under ideal conditions 108 on the speedometer.

I have Dalton QAP-4 weights, gold primary spring, P2 with a 140-200 spring and a Dalton 60-44/.45 helix. I had to put in a softer primary spring cause it over revs down low and slowly drops to 8100. I have seen under ideal conditions 108 on the speedometer.

How did you set up your P2 for clutch alignment on the 850? I think I have one washer behind my OEM secondary that is around 0.100" thick.

How did you set up your P2 for clutch alignment on the 850? I think I have one washer behind my OEM secondary that is around 0.100" thick.
I had three washers behind my oem secondary. I took the two thin ones out and left the .120 behind the secondary.

Last edited:
On my buddy's 850 we are going to try 78 gram weights ground down to 76 grams because Polaris doesn't have 76 gram weights anymore and either the stock spring or the gold spring. That should get the rpm down to 8050-8100.

p

On my buddy's 850 we are going to try 78 gram weights ground down to 76 grams because Polaris doesn't have 76 gram weights anymore and either the stock spring or the gold spring. That should get the rpm down to 8050-8100.

The 76g 10 series weights are hard to find. I found a brand new set last year, can't remember where from...

p

If not looking to get adjustable weights I have witnessed that the 850 likes the EPI - 76 gram Belly Busters quite well.
Many people are finding good response with the Dalton QAP4. Don't make the same mistake as me and go with the QAP5. The 850 doesn't like these.
SLP Magnum Force adjustable's work well too.

At 76grams with adjustables are you guys loading the tip or the heel?
I have the 66gr slp magnums and still testing. Stock springs and helix.
290lbs test rider.

Back
Top Bottom