• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

91 Octane, No Ethanol?

Muffin

Staff member
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro
Yamaha Viper
So I just got a new Polaris 800 Switchback and the dealer and manual says 91 no ethanol. I'm used to 4 strokes. What's the problem with ethanol? Do you guys really change the mode on your Sled if you can't find pure gas? I'm used to putting the highest octane I can find regardless of ethanol.

Small engines especially 2 strokes don't like ethanol. Avoid it if you can. The det sensors are pretty touchy so it'll tell you if it doesn't like the gas you put in it. When in doubt, put it in eth mode and you'll be fine. But you get a tad more performance in non eth mode.

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. But word on the street is that you can run 93octane 10% ethanol in non ethanol mode and maybe even see a little performance bump.

Ethanol is bad for storage and fuel systems that arn't built for it. It also has about 30% less energy per volume than regular petrol.

That's why it has a bad reputation in powersports.

But, the Axys is a bit rich stock. So the small ethanol content in e10 leans things out to a good point for power and the splash of ethanol provides a margin for detonation.

Ethanol has a high octane and more importantly is an over achiever when it comes to cooling the combustion process to a point where detonation becomes less likely. It acts higher octane than its rating would suggest. Turbo applications, especially direct injection, are an awesome example of this. Guys tuning the latest generation Volkswagen Golf and BMW turbo cars are getting near race gas power results with blends as low as e-30. Its almost magical. Guys setting up to run e85, even in n/a applications are seeing wild numbers. Something that started out as a corn lobby emissions boondoggle has turned into a tuners playground. Talk about unintended consequences!

I will use nothing but non ethanol fuel. My 2008 garden tractor ran fine till 2015 when it quit running. The carb was full of water, I'll never run ethanol fuel in my small motors again.

I think most stations carry 91 octane but it has some ethanol. Some places sell recreation gas which has zero ethanol. So if I encounter just 91 octane that has some ethanol should I run the sled in ethanol mode, or will 91 with ethanol cause an issue if my sled is set up with non-ethanol.

I don’t run ethanol in anything. When storing ethanol held up plugs carburetors and injectors.

I work for one of the largest fuel companies. Almost every 91 octane is ethanol free or it has to be marked. Ethanol bumps the octane rating up by 2 points. So when they put ethanol in 91 it makes 93octane.
If you ride remote area a lot of times you are forced to run ethanol just try to drain it out of your sled at the end of the year.

I don’t run ethanol in anything. When storing ethanol held up plugs carburetors and injectors.

I work for one of the largest fuel companies. Almost every 91 octane is ethanol free or it has to be marked. Ethanol bumps the octane rating up by 2 points. So when they put ethanol in 91 it makes 93octane.
If you ride remote area a lot of times you are forced to run ethanol just try to drain it out of your sled at the end of the year.

Good to know. I will pay attention at the pump. I thought 91 had ethanol still so I'm glad to hear it doesn't. Some places sell recreation fuel only and that good. I was more concerned about the franchise gas station with 91.

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom