• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

94’ indy trail 440 dying

rutzy04

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
94’ indy trail 440
Was riding my indy 440 yesterday and it suddenly bogged down and just died. took a half hour to get it going and it ran great all the way home. out for 10 minutes today and it died and wouldn’t start at all. at first i couldn’t even pull the rope so i thought i locked the engine up, but then a few minutes later and i could turn it over just fine. still wouldn’t start so towed it home. now i can’t get the drive belt back on since i took it off to tow it.

any advice? i wish i could take it to a repair place but there are none near me and it’s a bitch to get on the trailer without driving it up.

Was riding my indy 440 yesterday and it suddenly bogged down and just died. took a half hour to get it going and it ran great all the way home. out for 10 minutes today and it died and wouldn’t start at all. at first i couldn’t even pull the rope so i thought i locked the engine up, but then a few minutes later and i could turn it over just fine. still wouldn’t start so towed it home. now i can’t get the drive belt back on since i took it off to tow it.

any advice? i wish i could take it to a repair place but there are none near me and it’s a bitch to get on the trailer without driving it up.
Compression check it, sounds like you have her burned up. Rings are getting tight. When is the last time you cleaned the carbs?

Compression check it, sounds like you have her burned up. Rings are getting tight. When is the last time you cleaned the carbs?
just bought it in october, so likely needs a carb clean even though the guy said he did it recently.

If the compression is good is there anything i should do to help it? ( other than clean carb)

just bought it in october, so likely needs a carb clean even though the guy said he did it recently.

If the compression is good is there anything i should do to help it? ( other than clean carb)
Try compression check first and then for sure clean those carbs. Then report back.

had some truck issues so i had to get that dealt with before i could finally get on to the sled. Compression at 90 in one and 80 in the other so obviously low. taking the carb inside to clean it out. New piston rings id guess?

had some truck issues so i had to get that dealt with before i could finally get on to the sled. Compression at 90 in one and 80 in the other so obviously low. taking the carb inside to clean it out. New piston rings id guess?
Oh ya. That’s way too low. Should be 110-120 psi. Pull head.

Oh ya. That’s way too low. Should be 110-120 psi. Pull head.
is it just the 4 bolts on top of the head to get it off? if so i’m struggling to get the head off and i don’t wanna break anything trying to pry it

fan cooled? It’s been a while since I have pull heads but might have guide pins so it won’t just fall off. You may have to tap it with a rubber mallet.

The head has 6 bolts (studs with nuts & washers) mounting it to the cylinder. The cylinder has 4 bolts (again, studs with nuts & washers) mounting it to the crankcase. The compression numbers are worthless unless they don't match, obviously yours don't match. If you are trying to remove the cylinder do you have the exhaust "Y" pipe off?

Back
Top Bottom