• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

96 indy 500 trail no spark

Dale H

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
96 Polaris Indy 500 trail
Hi, I'm new here. My son and I bought this sledd, not running for $180. Its in decent shape, 7000miles on it. Anyway, new stater, cdi box (the black box with wires connecting to the plugs) guess that's the name of it. And new plugs. Still no spark. Brought it to a shop and they say its the "coil exciter". $300-$500 and up to fix.Does this sound accurate? Is it something we can do? Its a father son(13) project. Please advise,thanks

Hi, I'm new here. My son and I bought this sledd, not running for $180. Its in decent shape, 7000miles on it. Anyway, new stater, cdi box (the black box with wires connecting to the plugs) guess that's the name of it. And new plugs. Still no spark. Brought it to a shop and they say its the "coil exciter". $300-$500 and up to fix.Does this sound accurate? Is it something we can do? Its a father son(13) project. Please advise,thanks

Its a good bet it is. Thats under the flywheel near the stator. The black box with wires to the plugs would be the coils. That exciter coil online is only maybe $50 and if you had the stater off then u were there already there.

Its a good bet it is. Thats under the flywheel near the stator. The black box with wires to the plugs would be the coils. That exciter coil online is only maybe $50 and if you had the stater off then u were there already there.

Hi. Thank you for responding. Forgive my ignorance but after posting this I realized that the whole thing is brand new. When I bought thr stator not realizing it but I bought the coil, harnesses etc. So thats all new. So how they came up with the diagnoses is puzzling . I dont think they pulled it apart and took an educated guess. So knowing this I'm guessing the only thing left to replace is the emergency cut off switch as I heard these ate common to cause no spark. I ordered one of eBay for $29.00. Is this a logical mmove?

Hi. Thank you for responding. Forgive my ignorance but after posting this I realized that the whole thing is brand new. When I bought thr stator not realizing it but I bought the coil, harnesses etc. So thats all new. So how they came up with the diagnoses is puzzling . I dont think they pulled it apart and took an educated guess. So knowing this I'm guessing the only thing left to replace is the emergency cut off switch as I heard these ate common to cause no spark. I ordered one of eBay for $29.00. Is this a logical mmove?

I would be sure the kill switch the key switch are working correctly. For sure that could be the issue. As far as the dealer.. did they put a tested on the output wires and see if everything is working and installed correctly... that's what you should be asking them.

I would be sure the kill switch the key switch are working correctly. For sure that could be the issue. As far as the dealer.. did they put a tested on the output wires and see if everything is working and installed correctly... that's what you should be asking them.

So we got the sled back. When I picked it up the tech that worked on I was not there so I got no details. They charged a $30 pick up fee and $20 shop fee so I'm guessing they didn't do much. So we replaced the emer kill switch. No spark!...knowing the stater, coil are new what else could it be?. We bypassed the key switch also so I think thats fine. Black box that has wires going to the plugs is also new. We even switch that out with a friends spare and no spark. How do we test the new coil as its enclosed and I don't see how a volt meter could be attached to it. This is a dad, son project and he's just about given up...

So we got the sled back. When I picked it up the tech that worked on I was not there so I got no details. They charged a $30 pick up fee and $20 shop fee so I'm guessing they didn't do much. So we replaced the emer kill switch. No spark!...knowing the stater, coil are new what else could it be?. We bypassed the key switch also so I think thats fine. Black box that has wires going to the plugs is also new. We even switch that out with a friends spare and no spark. How do we test the new coil as its enclosed and I don't see how a volt meter could be attached to it. This is a dad, son project and he's just about given up...[all wires seem to be attached and fine. I have the new stater and coil out again...

Electrical issues can be a bitch. Not sure what to have u look at.

Simple. Disconnect the ignition switch connector and the wires going to the kill switch. This system grounds the wire out of the module with the kill switch down or the key off. Unplugging them allows the wire to unground. I wish I could tell you the wire color or schematic to help you out. Try this out and get back to us.
Polaris has been like this forever. If you want to "borrow" a sled, raise the hood and disconnect the ignition switch. Away you go. Thieves, please disregard this post. LOL

Back
Top Bottom