• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Advice on first snowmobile

littleboss

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
none
Hi,

We are looking for a 2 up snowmobile. It will be used for trails and offroad. We have a place in southern Colorado with 35 acres and we will ride there as well as places like Marshall Pass, etc.
It needs fuel injection so I don't have to worry about the ethanol fuel missing up the carb.
Also electric start and heated handle bars..
Also a 2 seater and cargo rack. Rear heated handlebars would be nice

We have rented Indy 550's several times but they are two stroke and pull start.

I don't want to spend a fortune as we will get to use it two or three weeks a year (until we retire).

Lots of models to try to pick from on the Polaris site. So far I like the Indy SP 137 with the 600 Cleanfire engine and have added the passenger seat and cargo rack.

600 cc should be plenty as we don't do much fast riding or racing and the 550's had plenty of power.

I am interested in which track type and length is best, as well as suspension differences between the machines. I have three Polaris SxS's and am well aware of the differences in the cheap shocks on the Ranger vs the Fox on my XP Turbo. So we are looking for a smooth ride off the trail

Thanks

“We have rented Indy 550's several times but they are two stroke and pull start.”
All modern Polaris snowmobiles are 2 strokes plus 2 strokes are a lot lighter and much better off trail. You can get electric start with a 550.

I didn't realize that all were two stroke. Thanks
The 550 is carbureted though and from my experience with letting small engines sit for long periods my fuel injected machines don't have ethanol troubles like the carbs do. I have tried many additives as well as running them dry and still have trouble.

I am in a similar spot. We have a cabin about 5 miles across the lake. The other year I snowchecked a 2020 Polaris Voyageur and couldn't be happier. It's got the 600cc motor, fuel injected, liquid cooled, and electric start. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Titan. It's torqued more for moving weight than speed, so it's perfect for 2-up and pulling gear. From Polaris I ordered their 2-up seat with heated handlebars. Standard is a 144 track which has been flawless so far. I have made zero modifications to it besides adding the RCA power jack in front for my wife's heated helmet.

I would check it out as another option.

I didn't realize that all were two stroke. Thanks
The 550 is carbureted though and from my experience with letting small engines sit for long periods my fuel injected machines don't have ethanol troubles like the carbs do. I have tried many additives as well as running them dry and still have trouble.
BTW - here in Minnesota you can buy non-ethanol gas at most stations. I haven't had a gas issue in any of my machines/toys since switching to non-ethanol exclusively in all of those things over a decade ago. My lawn mower, trimmers, chainsaws, augers, snowmobiles, and old boat motors. The only carb rebuild that I have done is on motors that I have acquired from other people.

I never use additives.

Back
Top Bottom