• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

axys switchback pro X performance upgrades? for 300+ lbs riders before gear

micklehick

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2016 axys switchback 800 pro x
2016 pro x switchback 800 1.75 track, bikeman full velocity trail can, Dalton adj. weights 66 to 73.5 oz kit currently on sled. anyone have some advice for clutching and gearing to assist in the performance in hauling a fat guy around ? around 3000 ft alt, flat land deep snow (2 to 3 ft) as often as possible but really like to crack/shatter that 100++mph across lakes or where ever safely possible and occasionally 1000+ ft drag races

in the rear clutch 48-44/46-42 full 140-200,140-220/ or 120-220 with the 46-42..run that gearing its good for about 96 mph..I have not personally messed with daltons, maybe someone who has can chime in,,

In a similar situation. In fact both myself and my buddy. I am 6'5" 290+lbs, he is over 300 lbs. Both 2015 Switchback X's. 1.75" paddle track (stock).

We have both added horsepower, taken different routes. Pipes, controllers, heads. Changed gearing to 1.74 ratio. Changed clutching a couple different times.....Neither have hit 100 mph yet......98mph max.
I have re-installed stock 1.86 gear ratio. Playing with clutching to optimize. My buddy is installing a 1.325 Cobra track.

You can load the motor with clutching, gearing AND track. But also rider weight.

Different set up for guys weighing over 275 lbs. I think 100 mph plus with stock 1.75" track and over 300 lbs is a tall order.

so long storey short, lose weight, go faster, lol I have hit 98 mph on the speedo in stock form , so naturally I figured a little tweaking and I could see 100+ mph , thank you for the replies

2016 pro x switchback 800 1.75 track, bikeman full velocity trail can, Dalton adj. weights 66 to 73.5 oz kit currently on sled. anyone have some advice for clutching and gearing to assist in the performance in hauling a fat guy around ? around 3000 ft alt, flat land deep snow (2 to 3 ft) as often as possible but really like to crack/shatter that 100++mph across lakes or where ever safely possible and occasionally 1000+ ft drag races

Fat guy,lol . I love your honesty lol

What gearing do you have in it now ?

That track lug will slow you down and will be hard to get triple digits ,along with weight and elevation.

Fat guy,lol . I love your honesty lol

What gearing do you have in it now ?

That track lug will slow you down and will be hard to get triple digits ,along with weight and elevation.

Its says 22:41 in the manual, with 70 chain

Decided I love my 1.75 track for fresh loose snow. Great for corner to corner also. Not giving it up!

I put on a NEW primary clutch. (Old had 2500 miles-didnt want to invest in machining on that.) balanced and machined for overdrive. Running a 1.74 ratio. Wasn't pulling into the outer part of primary (3/8"not used). Decided to put stock gearing (1.86 ratio) back in in hopes of using more of the primary.
So, stock gearing 96 mph + hopefully 10% overdrive will get me into the low triple digits.

With clutching in general, found being a bigger guy, couple degrees less on helix angle, gram or 2 less on primary weight compared to most recommended set ups on this site.
I think you can get there, will take some changes, maybe a track change.

Lots of very good info from some great guys on this site. Hope they can help you hit the triple digits.

quick update ,did a couple things over the weekend, put a blue polaris primary spring in 120/300 and also tried a different weight set up with my daltons. I tried the .7g in the tip of the weight and the 1.3g right in the heel ,couple threads showing. engagement jumped to bout 3900 ish rpm, while running in the 91 oct fuel setting and running 91 oct of course still could only hit the 98 mph on the speedo memory. would hold the 8250 ish rpm good I know I can go to 8300 8400. as far as I could tell I believe it was coming out of the hole little quicker , clutches were running normal warm, hand touch no problem. soo then had to switch back to eth fuel setting and run regular fuel and noticed right away that I could only hit around 7900 to 8000 rpm, still could hit the 98 mph on trail , on eth fuel setting to get to 98mph I had to hold wot for about 15 to 20 sec.. I don't recall my other polaris sleds dropping peak rpm while on eth fuel setting

8250 max rpm for stock pipe 2015-2016 Axys sleds.
Top speed on stock geared X's(1.86) is a theoretical 96 mph....think you have run out of gear.

How far up the primary has your belt traveled? Should be witness marks.

They like to get stuck at that 98 mph mark with the big track. And stock gears. Although I have hit 102 with big track before in perfect conditions and buddy hit 104. Max. But it's not all the time. You may want to try and gear up just a touch. I did at one time but it ran the same. That track is hard to overcome without more power.

Although I didn't give it a huge effort just a lil tinkering here and there.

quick update ,did a couple things over the weekend, put a blue polaris primary spring in 120/300 and also tried a different weight set up with my daltons. I tried the .7g in the tip of the weight and the 1.3g right in the heel ,couple threads showing. engagement jumped to bout 3900 ish rpm, while running in the 91 oct fuel setting and running 91 oct of course still could only hit the 98 mph on the speedo memory. would hold the 8250 ish rpm good I know I can go to 8300 8400. as far as I could tell I believe it was coming out of the hole little quicker , clutches were running normal warm, hand touch no problem. soo then had to switch back to eth fuel setting and run regular fuel and noticed right away that I could only hit around 7900 to 8000 rpm, still could hit the 98 mph on trail , on eth fuel setting to get to 98mph I had to hold wot for about 15 to 20 sec.. I don't recall my other polaris sleds dropping peak rpm while on eth fuel setting
You could go from the 1.86 ratio to a 1.80 as lid said .I wouldn't go any higher though with your weight and track lug height. You may need to adjust primary weights when doing this too. What else you do you have in it?

the primary belt travel looks to be about a 1/4 inch shy of the top of primary. I just have the bikeman velocity trail can on and Dalton weights and blue pol spring, next season might do the bikeman pipe and fuel controller. if I cant break the 100mph this season. might drop to a 38 tooth on bottom and 68 chain this season yet.

Remove primary ,remove spring ,close primary ,lay belt in primary and see if its. Capable of closing enough to drive the belt up to the top. Mine needed a lil tweak to get it to close far enough.

the primary belt travel looks to be about a 1/4 inch shy of the top of primary. I just have the bikeman velocity trail can on and Dalton weights and blue pol spring, next season might do the bikeman pipe and fuel controller. if I cant break the 100mph this season. might drop to a 38 tooth on bottom and 68 chain this season yet.
actually a 38t might be to much 39t is a 2 tooth drop from stock. bikeman has a gearing calculator on there website under the tech heading

Remove primary ,remove spring ,close primary ,lay belt in primary and see if its. Capable of closing enough to drive the belt up to the top. Mine needed a lil tweak to get it to close far enough.
what did you tweak to get it to push the belt all the way up, obviously if the belt isn't able to reach the top it will be holding some mph back right?

Correct if your clutch is incabable of running the belt up high it will be short on mph or should I better say there is more potential mph if it can. Had to have a lil removed from the lower part of sheeve to get it to close.

k I put a new polaris belt on, original was up to 1040 miles and measured 1.398, which wasn't helping, also removed a shim from behind secondary and switched out some front shims to get the secondary floating at .125" , stock was .071", with the new belt and deflection set so track starts to spin and secondary floating more , the belt is running all the way to the top of primary while on a stand in garage. now the wait for snow or a trip further north in 2 weeks

Want Performance for your Pro X? Buy a Stage 1 from Bikeman!!! Pipe, Bully Dog and Clutch Kit (except I changed the primary from a 160 to 120 for a less agressive engagement); bolted it on and my 16 Pro X, 1.75" lug runs like a whole new animal. Trail performance greatly improved! Accelerates way stronger down low and it now walks away from my buddy's 800 Etec Renegade.

Back
Top Bottom