• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

belts for axys

Bringing up an old thread........

I just want to say about belt glazing. I'm talking about stock Polaris belts. It's a known problem as the belts have different and inconsistent compounds from one belt to the next. Polaris knows about this and is trying to remedy this. If you have a Polaris belt that's glazed and shiny and it seems your down on rpm. It will slip through the shift but shows mostly in last quarter(top end). This is were it suffers and will lose rpm, and might gain it back and fall again. It's a main reason in rpm loss (or this inaccurate term fade).
The problem is, the glazed over belt can't hold side pressure in primary up in top rpm, tons of heat, slippage and inconsistency.
One remedy is scuff the belt and clutches good and clean. Add tip weight (0.5 grams), check springs and try.
Or get a gates, or Carlisle belts.
Most of this rpm loss is in the cvt system.
Applying proper springs in primary and secondary does help along with clean clutches and a good washed belt.
The secondary needs enough initial load at the start to hold and is better to help back shift always. I like a 140 lbs start for initial load on secondary.
Also since the primary is a straight 27degree that upshifts quicker then the dual angle on Indy and pro r models. This can make a belt slip even more to compound and double the slippage with a glazed belt. Faster shifting primary with glazed belt = rpm loss.

Gearing lower helps this too. Get the 1.61 out and try a 1.68-1.74 ratio. This will be more consistent in all clutch ranges.

Just something to think about again.

What's the best belt you can get?

Some guys like the gates, some like the Carlisle belt xs801 for the axys 800? They both seem good to me.

Epi has a belt now for the axys, I wanna try that one too and see .

So these are all better then the polaris one?

If i have .065 belt sheave clearance with little use polaris belt (1500 km) ,if i put a gates is what i need to reshimmed the primary ?
A new Polaris belt for 800 axys is around 0.040”-0.060” belt to sheave normally. Check with new belt?
Gates belt is around 0.020”-0.030” wider then the Polaris belt

Good lord. Right when I think I start to understand around 10% of the black magic that is clutching and belts, I go and read a post like this. Lol. It's tough, there are a lot of videos out there and how a CVT system works, which I get from an overall level. But nothing that really shows the visuals of tuning. I'm special, so I have to see things in order to understand them.

Really good information on this for sure though. I just got my clutches back from Indy Dan last week. I don't know much, but I have read enough to know that was one of the better places to send them to. They did say that the Gates could be swapped directly without any adjustments. I only have the stock belt so it will be interesting to see the side-by-side comparison. Living on the lake it should be a great spot to test as well.

Jon get a Gates belt. If Indy Spec. adjusted for it I would switch and run it. In my opinion it is a tough belt, and seems to grip the sheaves better than the stocker and at a better price point.

Roger that, will do. I love the fact it's half the cost as well, gotta love when things work better AND cost less ;)

Will be interested to see the difference if any as well.

Whatever belt you end up using, don't forget to check the belt to sheave clearance. .010" to .020" is ideal for a new belt. Once you verify the clearance, that will be a benchmark to determine belt wear. Once the clearance opens up significantly it's time for a new belt.
I know this sounds basic, but be sure to set belt deflection also. When properly set, these two adjustments will give you a killer holeshot.

Good lord. Right when I think I start to understand around 10% of the black magic that is clutching and belts, I go and read a post like this. Lol. It's tough, there are a lot of videos out there and how a CVT system works, which I get from an overall level. But nothing that really shows the visuals of tuning. I'm special, so I have to see things in order to understand them.

Really good information on this for sure though. I just got my clutches back from Indy Dan last week. I don't know much, but I have read enough to know that was one of the better places to send them to. They did say that the Gates could be swapped directly without any adjustments. I only have the stock belt so it will be interesting to see the side-by-side comparison. Living on the lake it should be a great spot to test as well.

We don’t mean to confuse anyone. Just informing

Don’t read into it to much as it overwhelms, lol

Ask and fire away? Lots of good guys on here Div20

Haha! No, I'm just easily confused on the subject, at least for now ;) Been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks. Good stuff because the more I read, the more I realized how many ponies I've left on the table over the years. Looking forward to getting a lot more familiar. :)

We don’t mean to confuse anyone. Just informing

Don’t read into it to much as it overwhelms, lol

Ask and fire away? Lots of good guys on here Div20
Does anyone have any feedback on Dayco belts? New to Axys coming from Doo. Royal Distributing has a rack of Days but didn't see any Carlise. On my Doos Dayco was okay but didn't feel as crisp as a Doo belt. Put 38 MILES on the Axys Thursday evening. I think I'm gonna like this thing.

Thanks

I'm wondering if the Gates - 46C4387 - G-Force C12 Drive Belt is what everyone is using?

I'm wondering if the Gates - 46C4387 - G-Force C12 Drive Belt is what everyone is using?

Yes - I am running these in a '15 without issue. Some '16 and up are tight and may need indexing to allow variance in size.

Great thank you for your reply.... I have always run factory belts and didn't want to order the wrong one. Have you found anyplace that sells them for a good cost. Although compared to the factory belt they are all probably cheap. Lol

As I said in my PM that number you posted is the Gates belt I was very happy with.

Back
Top Bottom