• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Blowing Headlights

NSDave

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2011 Switchback Assault
Hi , Looking for some help.
Picked up a 2011 SBA last season. First trip out it blew the headlights.
I have replaced both the regulator and capacitor twice with no change. (New Polaris Parts)
I have also checked the grounds which all seem good. As does the harness.
The DC side is steady at 13-14 volts.
When I meter the Headlight socket I get 14v at idle, bump the throttle and it immediately jumps to 20v .

Anyone have any suggestions?

Voltage regulator is shot, based on what you wrote.

From experience, they can be a bugger to figure out.

Is it an electric start sled? Batteries can mask bad grounds and suck up the extra voltage. For non-battery sleds, the grounds must all be good for the voltage regulator to work. I've even had to cut lugs off wires, strip wires back to expose new copper, and then crimp on new lugs.

It is a non battery sled. All factory wiring so I don't think they are wired in ahead of the regulator.
I metered out the grounds and they seem good. And the DC is good .. so i expect the the arounds are ok . It's got me stumped.

I replaced the regulator twice with Polaris units exact same result.

Sorry, load shed relays ? I'm not familiar ? Can you explain.
Greatly appreciated.

Load shed relays provide power to the important stuff first like oil pump and fuel

Follow you’re wires back from head light to plug connector when you take hood off and get a readingin volts from there too.

How’s the ground for headlight?

Back
Top Bottom