• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutch balancing

racerdave

Staff member
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
since 1976
Snowmobile
AXYS Switcher 800,Indy600sp,XCSP600ves
I had my clutch balance recently by Fett Brothers. Originally I was going to send it to Danica Patricks father, he runs Patrick Custom Carbon, but his wait time was longer than I wanted. Both charge around the same price. I paid $65 plus shipping using Fett Brothers. Dale told me they only took another gram off so I guess it was pretty good. After I shimmed it I put it back to the original x marks, and my scribe lines were a 2 inchs apart with no reindexing, vs Polaris recommended 1 inch. I have never had any luck with that reindexing crap. Starting to Doo the Indy 600 clutch now. Original belt clearance on it is .041.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just like getting things done by Dec 1st. December gets hectic with grandsons, babbysitting them, birthdays,xmas etc. Plus I want to be ready to go for a freak snowstorm/trail openings in Wisconsin.

Just finished the Indy 600 clutch. Got it shimmed to .018 for the oem belt. Only spyder shim left is the Stepped shim Poo uses. I figured 18 thou is good for now. I will let the buttons wear in some than maybe tighten it up a little more when/if I shim them. Even got the index mark within the magical 1 inch. First time in 30 years that has worked for me. Never say never!!! I could have dug around in my old shim pile and got it closer, but I have no answer why I didn't.

Last edited:
I had my clutch balance recently by Fett Brothers. Originally I was going to send it to Danica Patricks father, he runs Patrick Custom Carbon, but his wait time was longer than I wanted. Both charge around the same price. I paid $65 plus shipping using Fett Brothers. Dale told me they only took another gram off so I guess it was pretty good. After I shimmed it I put it back to the original x marks, and my scribe lines were a 2 inchs apart with no reindexing, vs Polaris recommended 1 inch. I have never had any luck with that reindexing crap. Starting to Doo the Indy 600 clutch now. Original belt clearance on it is .041.
What was the turn around time for Fett and where are they located?

Yeah, I just like getting things done by Dec 1st. December gets hectic with grandsons, babbysitting them, birthdays,xmas etc. Plus I want to be ready to go for a freak snowstorm/trail openings in Wisconsin.
What was the turn around time for Fett and where are they located?
They are in Frazee Mn. It was 2 weeks door to door. It would have been shorter but I sent it while they heading for the novi snow show.

[QUOTE="racerdave, post: 3109, member: Dale told me they only took another gram off so I guess it was pretty good. After I shimmed it I put it back to the original x marks, and my scribe lines were a 2 inchs apart with no reindexing, vs Polaris recommended 1 inch. I have never had any luck with that reindexing crap. Original belt clearance on it is .041.

In red:

Try different thicknesses of shims to index to get your scribe lines closer or perfect. Putting the spider in different tower positions works too.

[QUOTE="racerdave, post: 3109, member: Dale told me they only took another gram off so I guess it was pretty good. After I shimmed it I put it back to the original x marks, and my scribe lines were a 2 inchs apart with no reindexing, vs Polaris recommended 1 inch. I have never had any luck with that reindexing crap. Original belt clearance on it is .041.

In red:

Try different thicknesses of shims to index to get your scribe lines closer or perfect. Putting the spider in different tower positions works too.

Thats indexing. You can't change the scribe lines postioning unless you change the shim thickness. Then you change the belt clearance from what you wanted.

Thats indexing. You can't change the scribe lines postioning unless you change the shim thickness. Then you change the belt clearance from what you wanted.
Correct.

But sometimes changing two thousands of an inch in shims can get you were you need to be for example. I know that changes the belt to sheave clearance slightly,but it will maybe get you lined up.

I just did this a couple days ago with my abundance of different thickness shims.

When I decided to get mine machined and reindexed and balanced the marks were about 60 degrees from before it was taken apart. When running the sled now there isn't any chatter. Big shout out to Brock, his machinist, and CVTech. :)Div20

Back
Top Bottom