• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutch float

hirevn

How much is too much float?
I have been going over my clutches and was playing with the secondary float, what i have found is Polaris had 3x .120" washers behind the driven (.360") and 4x .100" washers behind the bolt (.400'). I thought about just removing 2 of the washers behind the secondary and leaving the 4 on the bolt giving me about .275" float. I don't see where any harm could come from doing this but thought i would post it up for anyone to chime in.
I have an AXYS alignment bar on order but it is backordered so thought maybe i would just add some float for now.

How much is too much float?
I have been going over my clutches and was playing with the secondary float, what i have found is Polaris had 3x .120" washers behind the driven (.360") and 4x .100" washers behind the bolt (.400'). I thought about just removing 2 of the washers behind the secondary and leaving the 4 on the bolt giving me about .275" float. I don't see where any harm could come from doing this but thought i would post it up for anyone to chime in.
I have an AXYS alignment bar on order but it is backordered so thought maybe i would just add some float for now.
I have .086 thou behind the secondary and at least 5/16 movement when I push in and pull out the secondary. Under load the secondary will find its happy spot. Div20

I like at least 0.120" float.
Polaris says .030- 0.06" for liability reasons.

I have .110" of float. Can't recall exactly how many washers I have on my bolt, but I know I have one .120" shim and one .020" shim behind secondary.

My offset is at .120" for me. I'm running a Gates belt with balanced and machined clutches. .018" belt to sheave clearance.

Like others have said. Float is good, especially more than none. The belt will find its sweet spot.

So working on the machines today found this interesting, My 2015 Pro X Rush 800 like posted above was set up at the factory with .360" behind the clutch and .400" worth of washers on the bolt and had maybe .030" float. My 2016 Pro S Switch only had 1 .060" shim behind the clutch and 1 .100" shim on the bolt, had roughly .040" float from the factory. I guess .060" is safe, this machine has 150 miles and no signs of rubbing.

Last edited:
My clutch ends up at full outboard every time I look at it after shutting it down. Is that a natural tendency? Would running it on a stand and watching secondary walk around and find a happy spot be advisable? To that end--thinking of removing a washer behind AND adding a bolt washer. Seem reasonable?

My personal opinion on these Polaris sleds is that the more float the better. I would run one .080 shim or one .120 behind the secondary, I say either of them just because whichever one you have access to is fine. And then enough washers on the bolt to have a total of .200-.250 float. You can push the clutch all the way inward and measure the gap between the clutch and the bolt washer.

My clutch ends up at full outboard every time I look at it after shutting it down. Is that a natural tendency? Would running it on a stand and watching secondary walk around and find a happy spot be advisable? To that end--thinking of removing a washer behind AND adding a bolt washer. Seem reasonable?
Running it up on a stand is a great way to see how much the secondary uses up whatever float it has. If it never hits either end when running it up (within reason) you have enough float. But now that I think of it, my secondary always ends up to the outside, up against the bolt and washers.
I run it on a stand or sled lift whenever I make any clutching or belt changes.

Does anyone have part numbers for the spacers behind and on the bolt for the secondary? I'd like to order a few but the parts diagram doesn't specify the thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the reason shims are different thicknesses on different sleds is because the factory cannot get the offset between the engine and jackshaft bearing the same from sled to sled , thus different thickness shims need to be used to get clutches aligned,so each sled has to use the right thickness shims for there particular sled.YOU CANT COMPARE SLED TO SLED !

Back
Top Bottom