• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Clutching advise...

Hey Brock,
What's the results of not making any of the changes you talk about here, other than the primary weights? I've spent some buck$ already with rear track springs, revalve, new track and studs.
Just wondering what I can expect, thanks!
Bigger lug needs a little bit lower gear ratio and cam angle to be happy all around riding in my opinion

That's exactly what I did with my 17 800 pros'. Gearing down to 22:38 with the stock chain (68) with 70 gram stock profile weights with a green spring. Tore out the helix installed a b/w spring in the driven and replaced the helix with a Venom (custom angle). I loose some top end but gain loads in the corner to corner pull with excellent back-shifting and no lag throttle response. I think the best of both worlds when you consider Polaris keeps 800's starved for top end rpm; my set up serves me well and may not appeal to others, however the case it gives us a base line to work from for my pros' platform There are many variables they must all be considered to provide optimum results.

Just got back from a trip in the UP I put the 155-222 spring in the secondary and it really didn't help much. Yesterday in the afternoon it was really acting like a dog. It would still spin to 8250 at take off from a dead stop. but after that is wouldn't really go any higher that 7400 rpms after letting off and getting back into it. Ill tell you what I did notice was at night when the temps got in the teens every problem seemed to disappear and the sled ran exactly the way I want it to. Spinning to 8250 every chance it got.

This is how it is set up now
2016 Axys 800 Rush
1.74 Gearing
Primary: Polaris Black Spring 120/310 10/68 Weights
Indy Dan Balanced and Overdrive Cut

Secondary: Team Red/Dark Blue Spring 155-222
50-44f Helix

SLP Can
126 studs
180lb Rider Weight

Is it still the Secondary spring that is not right? Is it opening to soon? Does it need to be stiffer? If so how much stiffer?

yours : Secondary / Red & Dark Blue = 155-222
: Primary / Black = 120-310
mine : Secondary / Black & white = 160 - 260
: Primary / Green = 140-330

In no way am I representing that my set up is superior. Do the math on your spring calculation. A 1.74 ratio is what I am currently set up for given my elevation, your elevation is 100 meters less than mine, same stud count, same sled (17) Almost the same weight, is that dressed ? No Can as I believe that the right heat needs to build up in order to provide proper combustion and back pressure so mine is original. For shits and giggles Swap out your Can for the original before you do any clutch mod's. I'll put a Can on only if I race short runs, others may disagree about the can.. If you run a Can then you run leaner / that's another discussion. Put a dark pencil mark (1'') from the top portion of the sheave on both clutches, this will give you history where you belt rests when fully engaged. Resolution is achieved by recording your variables and making appropriate mod's. Your close. If your going to change your springs (pair) go to the 70 gram weight too. Polaris clutches need the extra weight. (they like it) Make sure to note your belt rise. If you want ; get back to me. Sorry for the editorial.

Just got back from a trip in the UP I put the 155-222 spring in the secondary and it really didn't help much. Yesterday in the afternoon it was really acting like a dog. It would still spin to 8250 at take off from a dead stop. but after that is wouldn't really go any higher that 7400 rpms after letting off and getting back into it. Ill tell you what I did notice was at night when the temps got in the teens every problem seemed to disappear and the sled ran exactly the way I want it to. Spinning to 8250 every chance it got.

This is how it is set up now
2016 Axys 800 Rush
1.74 Gearing
Primary: Polaris Black Spring 120/310 10/68 Weights
Indy Dan Balanced and Overdrive Cut

Secondary: Team Red/Dark Blue Spring 155-222
50-44f Helix

SLP Can
126 studs
180lb Rider Weight

Is it still the Secondary spring that is not right? Is it opening to soon? Does it need to be stiffer? If so how much stiffer?
It’s you’re cam angle.
Can’t handle lower temps and sticky snow
Put a 46/42 cam in with a 140/220 and you’ll be fine I’m sure

Reactions: Baz
A team red/dk blue is 140/200. The black is 155/222. IMO the 4* spread works better. Plus, with the full progressives, the starting and finishing angles are only achieved when the clutch is fully closed or open. So, for a 50-44, half shifted out would be 47.5*. Which seems pretty aggressive. So cold temps, fluffy snow, on ice, and no need for back shift you would be fine. Starting to think that a 44*S would work just as good as a 46-42.

Reactions: Baz
The above post = * is his degree symbol. So I think he is saying a 44 straight angle helix or 46-42 which is also a 4 degree spread. Temperature reference is warmer temps which has a higher friction to it which causes drag on the sled.

If your asking me , your above set up sounds good for a aggressive trail rider.

Whats your thoughts on the 70 weights and Green 140-330 primary with the 46-42 helix and Black/Green 140-220 spring?
I would just change the helix from your original set up. See what happens and go from there. Changing more than one thing at a time just causes confusion. Your goal now is to get it to back shift properly, currently when you get back on the throttle the secondary is just dumping open loading the motor down thus the rpm drop. Once that’s achieved just change one thing at a time to see if you made improvement or not.

Back
Top Bottom