• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

engine shake / vibration

Magnum

Hi guys i am new here i have always had Yamaha snowmobiles this year i bought a 2011 Polaris assault 800 the engine shakes or vibrates just off idle or when its coming down to idle it makes whole sled shake the sled runs great i love the sled didn't know if this was normal or not my Yamaha triple cylinder was all was smooth . Thanks guys

Engine does vibrate a little yes.

See if u have a motor mount gone.

One way to check is take belt off and grab primary and pull up and to back of sled. If there's no movement, then it's probably OK.
Get your primary balanced as this will help with vibration

Welcome by the way

Engine does vibrate a little yes.

See if u have a motor mount gone.

One way to check is take belt off and grab primary and pull up and to back of sled. If there's no movement, then it's probably OK.
Get your primary balanced as this will help with vibration

Welcome by the way
Ok thanks i will check motor mount tonight . Were would you get the clutch balanced if the motor mount is not the problem . thanks Steve

So I replaced the motor mounts with the newer updated mounts started up still vibrates I also took off clutch and started it still vibrates . What do you guys think is there something in the motor out of balance thanks Steve

These engines are made to vibrate and shake a little. Since you got motor mounts replaced. Don't worry about it. Drive it.

Maybe post up a short video of the sled idling. As Brock said it's probably ok, just make sure it's nothing excessive.

Besides the obvious of making sure nothing on or around the motor is loose causing vibration, check compression.

Mine shook and vibrated too, I tore mine down to inspect the pistons at about 1800 miles and luckily caught a cylinder crack on the intake side of a cylinder skirt. I was planning on replacing pistons anyway which had a lot of collapse on the piston skirts. I think this is the main reason the cylinder cracked. I will be starting to put it back together soon so I will have to see how much smoother it runs when done. While I had it apart, I sent my primary clutch to Indy Specialties in Welch MN to ave it trued and balanced, it came back looking like new with new bushings etc. I sent the weights I was going to use with it so he fit the weights correctly and also set the belt clearance for the belts I am using. They balance the inner sheave first and then put the clutch together and balance it again so if you ever have to add or remove shims it will stay in balance.

Mine shook and vibrated too, I tore mine down to inspect the pistons at about 1800 miles and luckily caught a cylinder crack on the intake side of a cylinder skirt. I was planning on replacing pistons anyway which had a lot of collapse on the piston skirts. I think this is the main reason the cylinder cracked. I will be starting to put it back together soon so I will have to see how much smoother it runs when done. While I had it apart, I sent my primary clutch to Indy Specialties in Welch MN to ave it trued and balanced, it came back looking like new with new bushings etc. I sent the weights I was going to use with it so he fit the weights correctly and also set the belt clearance for the belts I am using. They balance the inner sheave first and then put the clutch together and balance it again so if you ever have to add or remove shims it will stay in balance.
What model and year is your sled?

Mine is a 2011. I know the 13's and up had thicker cylinder skirts. But the collapse of the piston skirts was alarming. Mine ran very well but I was concerned so I took it apart just to check. I never did a compression test before I took it apart but the rings were flaking as well.

Back
Top Bottom