• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Full Shift

Powaton

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Pro S 800
Question for guru's and pontificators. Why do you think polaris builds the primary so it doesn't shift out all the way? Does ski doo cat and yami do the same?

I'm currently prepping my primary for the season and got curious.

Thinking about it from a manufacturing standpoint and the fact that oem's like to squeeze every penny, why don't they just build the clutch smaller if they never plan on having it get close to full shift?

My opinion
They want a 1:1 ratio mostly and for any over drive, that becomes a liability.
Ive had belts flip from machining to much overdrive. That's the liability I'm talking about .

1:1 is good enough for Polaris.

For us , no, never enough, lol

They were nice enough to leave more on the table for the informed.

I remove enough material to get 0.83:1 ratio ( max overdrive)

It's not just about that. It's straightening, machining so no binding and smooth operation

What measurements do you take to calculate overdrive?

What's the calculation? I'd like to see what my clutches are capable of before I send them out for balance and machine work.

THE EASIEST WAY TO CK IS TAKE THE SPRING AND WEIGHTS OUT OF THE PRIMARY AND MANUALLY MAKE THE BELT RIDE ON THE OUTSIDE CIRCUMFRANCE AND SEE WHERE THE BELT SITS, ONCE ITS MACHINED REPEAT WITH THE BELT AND SEE HOW MUCH FURTHER THE BELT COMES OUT OF THE PRIMARY. I HAVE TWO PICTURES OF THIS ON HERE SOMWHWERE SHOWING THE DIFFERENCE.

As doc was saying.

You guys wanna measure yourself?

Take cover off primary

Put clutch puller in vise horizontally to hold primary. Thread it in. Pull sheaves together snug and hold. Place new belt in that you're gonna use. See were it sits .

Most will only sit flush to top of primary. There's more there but has to be machined.

The belts from Polaris are are not wide enough and a little to long. Just to give you 1:1 or maybe 5% overdrive with right clutching .

Back
Top Bottom