• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Gear change question...

Maladjusted

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of swapping the Ripsaw 2 1.25" lug track that came stock on my '15 Switchback 800 to a 1.6" Ice Cobra.

I am going to swap the 1.61 gears and 68 p chain for 1.74 and 70p chain.

The stock clutching was pretty good... Flashed to 8350 every time and pulled hard. Back shift was acceptable.

My question: if I swap the gearing and track, and leave the clutching stock... What will the result be?

I have zero time to test and try different combos as I live in Virginia... So when I go riding, It's for a trip and won't have time to swapping parts.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mal

I would leave clutching for now. try the new gearing and new track with clutching you have first. change one thing at a time and try.

So switching out the two tracks. 1.6" lug, your gaining 5lbs of rotating mass and about a 1/4" more lug .

My guess is you wanna only top mph at 100+ with this??

This 1.6" lug will probably lose you about 3 to 5 mph on top end vs the 1.375". So, to gain some more top end back,you have to gear lower then suggested 1.74 ratio.

A 1.80 ratio has very little dog leg and at a 1:1 ratio will get you 100 mph @ 8250 rpm. Add 5% overdrive and that's 105 mph @ 8250 rpm full shiftout . Full shift out can be varied from 1:1 to 18%. I calculated a easily achievable 5%.

Given the fact that I have a very strong running 800... And could easily and repeatedly hit 112-115 mph on the speedo, I am going to take your previous advice Brock amd gear down to 1.74 with the 1.6 Ice Cobra and leave all else.... For now. I'll post results when the snow flies! Thanks again for the info and assistance.

Mal

The 22/38 with 68 pitch chain(1.73 ratio)
Has less dog leg then the 1.74 ratio.

Just sayin

IMAG0455.jpg

also, this chain tensioner is less restrictive.

That's like the tensioner they always used,not a fan of this new slider one I think I'm swapping mine out

Yes the roller part was used on TX's etc from the 70's through the 2,000's.

That's like the tensioner they always used,not a fan of this new slider one I think I'm swapping mine out
If you get this chain tensioner. Lube it very well with chaincase oil before installing. If you don't,it will take a bit for oil to get up there and it will make a bad whining sound.

Brock I am guessing you show the nut bolt and bearing above just because that is how you copied it, not because you need those also to use the IQR tensioner?

The 22/38 with 68 pitch chain(1.73 ratio)
Has less dog leg then the 1.74 ratio.

Just sayin

View attachment 465
also, this chain tensioner is less restrictive.
I just came back and read this. Is the 22/38 a accepted combo on the Axys gear chart or just one that fits? Less dog leg I like with only a .012 difference in ratio

The Vespel slider is in there because there is less chain case noise. However you have to stay on top of chain tension a lot more than with the roller tensioner.

Does anyone have a pic of the 22-38 gearing and the 23-40 gearing in the chaincase? I'd like to see the lesser dogleg of the 22-38. I am about to order a gear and chain for one of these setups. I have a 40 gear and a 22 gear. No 23 or 38 and neither chain. Leaning towards the 22-38 because of the lesser dogleg and the slightly lesser weight of smaller gears and shorter chain can't hurt, but theory is bigger gears are more efficient. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a pic of the 22-38 gearing and the 23-40 gearing in the chaincase? I'd like to see the lesser dogleg of the 22-38. I am about to order a gear and chain for one of these setups. I have a 40 gear and a 22 gear. No 23 or 38 and neither chain. Leaning towards the 22-38 because of the lesser dogleg, but theory is bigger gears are more efficient. Thoughts anyone?
I just put the 23/40 and 70 pitch chain in my pro s 800 and the dog leg isn't bad at all,no pictures and its back together now sorry

Back
Top Bottom