• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Grass Drag-Skid setup

OutCast

So I am going to setup the INDY Improver for some grass drags.
Not sure I will make any but I'll set it up incase.
And I have no experience with studs or grass dragging.
Already got the info I need on studs-I think anyways, but wondering about adding extra wheels and cooling?
Would I add a couple extra wheels on the inside of the skid and for cooling do I really have to get into plumbing and a cart?

I add 6 extra wheels, pull slidders out and lower suspension.
I used 1/2" lug speed track with chisels.

Make a cool down cart if your going to run a few races.

Ya I believe that's about the same style track I will be getting Brock.
And I need to do some testing so maybe the cool down cart is necessary.
Do you add wheels on the inside of the skid or more behind the existing ones on the outside of the skid?

I added anti stab wheels at the front of rail(on or before bend). Inside and outside in middle of skid. When your removing slidders you need to be on wheels only.

Ya I'll strap the front down and turn down the suspension.
Adjust the limiter strap and try that.
Have to figure out where to plumb in for the coolant cart!
Might be more work than I wanna get into, but I built it to race!

Pull the t stat for the cool down cart. Pull the front limiter up tight to start. Use chisels.

Already have the T-Stat pulled. And the track I will be checking out I am Pretty sure it's equipped with chisels.
Main concern is where to tap into on the INDY for the cool down cart.

This is what I would do. Cut the hose so the cold water is pushing into the coolers first. That will gradually cool the motor by pushing the cold water in through the hot, before it hits the motor. Run straight water. Too bad you aren't close to Illinois. You could use my old cooldown cart. I retired it in 96
indycooldown2.jpg

I will have to look at that hose when I get home from work on the 18th. I think it might be hard to get at behind the chaincase but I don't see any other options as I looked at that diagram.
EDIT: just realized that's the main hose from the T-Stat. Housing. Shouldn't be too bad to have access to!

I will have to look at that hose when I get home from work on the 18th. I think it might be hard to get at behind the chaincase but I don't see any other options as I looked at that diagram.
EDIT: just realized that's the main hose from the T-Stat. Housing. Shouldn't be too bad to have access to!
Yep, I agree , was gonna post the same diagram.

When u lower your suspension.
Pulling the center shock up,ifs up and rear.
So when you rock back after 100', the ski's just slightly touch the ground and flutter(no ski pressure as this will slow you down)

I have some good clutching and gearing for the 800 in 500' if you like?
(Well they worked fo me)

Sure man. Always open to suggestions. Gearing I was thinking 2.05-2.10 ratio.
Clutching run a high engagement-165 for a start on the primary. Keep the rpms in the power curve where it has most torque. I'll Prob aim for 8100 since I haven't had it dynoed yet.
Are FP helixes any good for grass drags?

I always tucked the weights a little and 0.002-0.005' does a lot and allows you to run a lighter weight(that was on 10 series).Adjustable weights with magnets/set screws(easier tuning capabilities) are way easier now
Engagement was anywhere from 4200-4800 for me(depended on track start)
the 2.05 gear ratio works well in 500' of grass for the 800cc
the 56/40 full progressive works really well
Or a 64/44.75 compound helix

Back
Top Bottom