• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

grip heaters throttle heater inop.

redrider

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
polaris pro-s swicthback 800 ,2017 classic 600,2006 xc/sp 500,2006 indy 340,2004 pro-x 120,2004 kitty cat,99 various vintage sleds,IQ600,2009
2017 pro-s switchback so the grip and throttle heaters quit,and the high beam also quit,when i raise rpm off idle the head light flashes,checked for chaffing wiers,ok took apart switch all wires still connected,found 3 capacators un secured and bouncing around,large cap had no ohm reading but it did have 125 volts the 2 little caps no volts but did show ohms,don,t know if thats correct.ordered a manual but 2 days away,hoping someone has encountered this and can advise thanks

Last edited:
ohmed out grip heater elements ,found left side shorted to handlebar,tiny bit of solder was protruding thru rubber insulation,replaced it.secured capacitors,inspected all 5 relays found 2 with green crap coming out from the inside,looks like a tiny vent hole,all connection terminals were clean like new,replaced all 5 with new from napa ,liberal amounts of dielectric grease also,relocated the 2 mounted to cross bar in front of engine(they had the green crap) all good so far around 900 miles.

ohmed out grip heater elements ,found left side shorted to handlebar,tiny bit of solder was protruding thru rubber insulation,replaced it.secured capacitors,inspected all 5 relays found 2 with green crap coming out from the inside,looks like a tiny vent hole,all connection terminals were clean like new,replaced all 5 with new from napa ,liberal amounts of dielectric grease also,relocated the 2 mounted to cross bar in front of engine(they had the green crap) all good so far around 900 miles.
I'm chasing the same problem, were those relays on the clutch side?

I'm chasing the same problem, were those relays on the clutch side?
oh my i almost forgot that problem found 2 relays on crossbrace in front power valve catching all the powder coming trhu the hood vents ,relocated them,1 over by the battery,2above the clutch area wraped up.anyway the whole problem was left side grip heater intermident short to ground on handlebar,very tiny spec of solder wore thru insulation.my opinion,too much solder at the wire to element joint,(root cause) nobody had one close by drove down to chaffe to get new one,and man did i get an education in a hurry.good luck with your,s

Back
Top Bottom