• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Help with my 2014 600 Indy suspension

Dan_x

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2014 600 Indy
Hey Guys/Gals,

I bought a 2014 600 Indy this year. Has 2,600 km on it, stock track, studded. stock everything really. Anyway, this weekend was the first time I had it on some decent trails. I had a great time. Sled has loads of power and very easy to whip around corners.

I have two issues. The first is the rear end fish tails or darts around on hard groomed trails. When we go off into the less travelled single trails where it’s just more of a natural or unpacked base, the rear end calms down and bites in nicely. When I’m ripping around a corner hard, it behaves, but I can break it loose and slide it around p, if I want to.

The second issue is the front tends to dart around on hard packed groomed trails. Again, tends to calm down when it’s more fresh or loose snow.

Everything is set per the manual. Front shocks, torsion bar preload is set to soft, FFSS and FRSS are also set as per manual.

Track is studded, so I bought and installed Polaris outer rear wheels to aid in outer track bend.

I’ve read about adjusting the tension straps, but mine isn’t adjustable (no holes)and there is only one strap.

I’ve also read about adjusting the front track shock, but mine does no spear to be adjustable. I can see the spring, but the top of the shock has a rubber boot over it that does not appear to be removable.

What can I adjust to calm down the rear end? Oh, I weigh about 175 lbs.

For the darting, buy new ski rubber dampeners and then look into shimming the skis. The rubber takes a set over time and the ski "noses down" on the snow, even new they are not great. The idea is to get the ski to sit as flat as possible so you are using the whole carbide runner on the snow. Do a search on shimming, there is plenty of discussion on it.
See what happens after you get the skis under control, it will probably settle down the rear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've rechecked my alignment and adjusted it to 1/4" toe out, and I've added a 1/8" shim to the skies. Will test out this weekend.

So I ended up replacing my scags with 6” shaper bars. Darting al,ost has stopped. Pretty good handling. Rear breaking loose has not stopped.

I need to figure out if my rear shocks are good. I had set the tension bars blocks to high and took my wife for a ride. She’s maybe 130lbs. I was told by other riders that my rear snow flap was bent out and dragging. Riding very low and bottomed out more than a few times.

So I ended up replacing my scags with 6” shaper bars. Darting al,ost has stopped. Pretty good handling. Rear breaking loose has not stopped.

I need to figure out if my rear shocks are good. I had set the tension bars blocks to high and took my wife for a ride. She’s maybe 130lbs. I was told by other riders that my rear snow flap was bent out and dragging. Riding very low and bottomed out more than a few times.
How tight are you running the track? Also with the extra weight on the back you would need the bigger springs to get the ride height right. The shocks only dampen the ride, not support any added weight.

Thanks.. Yep, I know it's not a two up. Just trying to figure out if the rear shocks need attention or not. The track is set slightly looser compared to manual specs. It has about 3/4" sag when measured 16" back from center of rear wheels. I had it set to spec before and it felt like it was too tight. Lots of noise, and it felt too stiff. When I freed it up a little, the sled was much more responsive and the track noise quieted down.

Going back to the track. That .91 lug height even with studs will never be “grippy”

I don't think the track lugs breaking loose are the problem, I think the problem he is describing is the seat feeling like its doing the hula under your ass when going down a straight section of trail. My gen2 and edge did it occasionally when the snowpack was right, neither were studded. I ran the track pretty loose on both of them and always attributed it to that. Haven't felt it on either of my newer switchbacks which i run the tracks tighter and neither are studded.
You are probably are going to have to find the right balance of track tightness to noise that you can live with to correct that, remember the rotational weight of the studs is helping grow the track slightly more than normal too.

Back
Top Bottom