• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Higher rpm w load

Lid1

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Axys
looking for some input. 2017 prox 800 w 1.352 cobra and stock gearing for cobra. Bone stock revving 8400 with occasional 8450 . Went to 10-68 and 280 finish primary. Now sled revs 8300 most of time 8350 some times and not rare to see 8400. In soft trail snow it's usually 8300. In harder trail snow it's usually 8300 BUT when I dip off in 8 inches plus it will show 8400 every time I stab the throttle. Any opinions or facts on why I'm pulling higher and consistent rpm under heavier load? Is the heavier load slowing down the shift allowing it to pull higher rpm .is this indicative of needing a slightly stiffer secondary spring. Oh secondary is stock.also now with 68 and 280 it will launch at 8100 drop to 7900 back up to 8050 -8150 and then climb .

Or do you guys think the heavier load is increasing pipe temp and allowing higher rev .

Interesting post in that we have two slightly different sleds, slightly different clutching and gearing, slightly different tracks/drivers/pitch.

Are you stock pipe and stock ecu?

What is interesting is that we are getting very similar performance results. I believe my last "stock" gains to be made are probably with the secondary spring and helix. "Stock" meaning stock factory pipe and stock ecu flash.

I believe your engine/pipe/ecu pulls to max power (rpm), "balanced" out by your track load. Same for me. Same for the last sled I had with a tss-04 secondary (modified Polaris turbo four stroke).

It sounds like your sled is performing well. Climbing RPM on hard snow means your "balance" load and RPM moves up as your pipe heats, producing more power. Performance wise, a good place to be.

A button secondary "loads" an engine in powder. A tss-04 roller secondary, in my experience, usually won't load the engine in powder like a button p85/p2.

Your sled goes to 8400 rpm in powder because your gear/track/secondary isn't loading like on hard snow. 8400 rpm is the clue because this is where your power starts to tank and fall off. Thus, your sled engine/rpm/ecu "balances" your gear/clutch/track at 8400 in powder.

Just my opinion. Brock, Dr notadoo and others probably have more Axys info and experience than I do so it will be intersting to hear from them.

Yes it performs well. And it is stock Ecu stock pipe for now. I should have mentioned the deeper snow I was referring isn't a powdery condition but a deeper wet heavy snow. Which is why I'm a lil confused. One would think this would drag the rpm down not move it up. So I'm thinking it maybe shifting a lil to fast in the harder stuff ? Getting ahead of itself a lil bit. Or is it pipe temp do to load of the heavy snow. I'm just not used to seeing this .

OK, if I'm understanding you correctly?

The heaviest load you can put on your sled is under good traction . This loads the cvt system and motor. Usually hard pack snow ,dirt ,grass or clay.

In deeper snow conditions(not hitting ground), the track can spin and break free , thus not loading the cvt and engine as much. This is why your seeing a higher rpm.

You may think going off in deeper heavy snow it will load the motor more but the track can still spin because it's not hitting a hard surface to grab. Good traction on a hard surface will load the motor and cvt system the most.

Seems like your sled is working well to me? How many miles and engine hours?

It has about 370 miles. Not sure on the hours off top of my head. It's run good the whole time don't seem to have any issues at this point .i was just thinking because I agent studded it yet that the chassis drag in deeper snow would load it more than the trail but I can see what your saying about the track just spinning . I've also noticed a few things 1 being that I have some serious spider jam but yo primary spring rubbing going on so I'll have to clearance that .i had some on my 15 but not this much. 2 - there is very little float in the secondary almost none less than 1/16 of an inch my 15 had lots right from the factory .so I gotta adresss that also.the clutch alignment is correct though . 3- my 15 with 1.75 track and stock to close to stock gearing had very cool clutches this sled has much higher primary and secondary temps. Which may cool down when I clearance that jam nut and give it some proper float. If not I'll probably go a lil lower in gearing. So far the sled has done 107 on guage and still climbing in the snow in less than ideal conditions in what I guess to be less than 1320. I weigh around 290 with gear so I'm happy so far. So should I just leave the springs the way they are for now or should I feed it a lil more in the finish in the front or start in the back?

Back
Top Bottom