• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

How to read engine SN

trevor croucher

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
93 AC panther touring deluxe
06 Polaris edge 340 touring
04 Polaris edge 550 touring
Hi
I think you are the guys to answer this. I have a 2004 edge 550, but a different motor in it.

engine numbers
prod #: EC550PM00906123

serial #: 0404588 (K03 to the right)

can you tell me the year of this motor and any other info I would need for ordering parts?

cheers,

trevor

Almost every part (except for the tag) is the same for every year of the 550 fan motor. What parts are you looking for?

Thanks. The guy at the Polaris dealership said Today it is from a 2008 550 LX. That look correct?

I just got the sled, and the guy said low compression on one side. I took heads and cylinders out and they look good, no scoring of the cylinders. The top of one piston and one head has a few impact marks, I’m assuming from a previous failure. I’m thinking too and bottom cylinder gaskets and new rings should get me back on the snow. The gasket that was there had what looks to be white bathtub silicone caulk! I’m thinking that blew out and this is my compression problem. Thoughts?

Couple things;

The cylinders should be honed, never put a set of rings (new or used) in cylinder without honing. Light hone to remove glaze and restore crosshatch without removing any material.

Check the ring groove and make sure the ring moves freely. Sometimes when a piston gets hit on the top it will squeeze the ring groove.

The base gasket on the cylinder, if blown out, won't alter compression. Head gasket obviously will. Someone probably used the old gasket again and needed sealer to make it "kinda" work. If everything is right, square and true new gaskets do not need any sealer.

Thanks Mike!
I just done a quick google and found a couple different PNs for rings.

3090187 (replaces 3089936) for a 2997 and 2008 550 LX

3086988 for a 2004 and 2006 550 edge

so do I need to make sure I know the exact year of that motor of mine? Is the guy at the dealership correct when he said it was from a 2007 LX?

just want to ensure I get the correct rings. I got those PNs from Babbitts.

Sorry that was from a 2008 the dealer said.

I have only used aftermarket rings on 550's. All of my aftermarket sources show only one part number for rings used on all of the 550 motors.

I don't have any engine serial number identification info.

Thanks for all the info Mike, much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom