• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Indy owners with Polaris tunnel protectors????

racerdave

Staff member
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
since 1976
Snowmobile
AXYS Switcher 800,Indy600sp,XCSP600ves
What does Polaris us to secure the oem accessory tunnel protector in place so they won't move? The IQ protectors are held with a bolt that runs sideways. I know they can be made to work, but there has to be a better way.

OEM tunnel protectors are super pricey basically just a polaris slider cut to length...however you do get the two small aluminum blocks with a threaded hole in it. This slides into the channel...and then a bolt goes through tunnel protectors and into it to hold them in place. I bit the bullet and bought the oem ones for that reason...BUT...I imagine if you found the perfect size nyloc nut...and carefully slid it down the channel...it would do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

i know that hifax will do the job, The channel is open on the bottom.. Putting a nut in there it won't tighten against any thing except the hyfax only. Unless that aluminum threaded block is wedge shaped on the sides? Thats why I ask what the Polaris piece looks like.

I already installed it...so taking a pic isn't an option...but it is basically just a rectangle shaped block. It can't slide backwards out...because it hits cross over tube. It can't slide forward because the channel tightens up a little bit..and the block stops there. It does not completely "tighten" in place...it will move back and forth about 1/4" You can order the aluminum blocks separately...but they were stupid expensive.

Ok, thanks. I picked a up a pair of IQ protectors at a local swap meet for $10. They are meant to be held with a 1/4 inch bolt sideways. Pretty hard to drill up there for that. I will figure something out. I don't like the floating protectors. Fastsledder used a sideways rivet, but I prefer a more solid and easy to remove soultion.

What I did was was measure when you want your bolt hole and then drill your protector before putting it on.

But that doesn't get you into the tunnel piece the protector slides on. I suppose a pinch fit would be ok, but the lower the holes the more into the plastic meat you get. All that aside I can't get the damn IQ protectors on and I have filed and chamfered everything.

Pinch fit worked for me all last winter. I drilled the top slot across and tightened till they pinched. Pretty sure that's the way the factory ones installed on my old d8. Did you take your rear flap off to install the protectors? I fought with them for quite a while, until I had them filed perfect.

Got them on yesterday. Found a 1/4 inch drill bit with a triangle shank would fit into my old Snapon right angle screwdriver and cleared the tunnel top and opposite side protector. Pinch bolt is in. Milwaukee Show next Saturday for Woodys 1.175 GoldDiggers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom