• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Made a set of adjustable weights

Brock

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
30+
Snowmobile
Polaris
IMAG0788.jpg
I used a set of 68 gram epi's . I have 1.1 gram magnets to use(very very strong).

I got my buddy to machine these. The holes are recessed 0.025" to accept magnets(just enough to hold in place)

The base weight with 3 holes recessed are now 67 grams. Now I can add 1.1 gram of weight in the heel,mid or tip. This is easy to adjust on trail.

I'm trying them this winter.:DRockon

Nice work Brock but I simply would not trust any magnet weights.

Nice work Brock but I simply would not trust any magnet weights.
Hahaha, yes, true enough.

Bikeman is doing it. They say they hold no problem, we'll see???

I tried this on a set of weights I don't use. I'm gonna test them this winter and see what happens. If the magnets fall out. I'll fill the holes with welds again and grind to 68 gram as they were.

My concern is the damage those magnet could do coming off at 8,000+ rpm. I am just like that. Not trying to discredit your work.

I have ran d&d magnet weights in my car turbo at 33lbs of boost.
All my busddies are running them in there 600hp turbo some of the strokers are spinning over 10,000 tons and they been running magnetic weights for years and never heard of an issue.

Brock most have a pilot hole through so you can stick a pick or small screw driver through to remove the magnet.

I have ran d&d magnet weights in my car turbo at 33lbs of boost.
All my busddies are running them in there 600hp turbo some of the strokers are spinning over 10,000 tons and they been running magnetic weights for years and never heard of an issue.

Brock most have a pilot hole through so you can stick a pick or small screw driver through to remove the magnet.
That's good to hear.
I would think centrifugal force would help keeping the magnets in as well??

I have to use a small precision screw driver to remove the magnets. There strong.

I'm going to try what I've done. If it works, I'll be happy. If not. I'll fill the holes with weld again and grind smooth. No biggie

Brock, do those EPI 68's have the the same shift profile and weight distibution as Polaris 10-68 weight?

They look good. I have used D&D ones but there magnets go all the way down in a recess.
The magnets are 0.120" thick. If I was to take out that much material from the weight itself, I would replace it with a magnet and be basically at the same weight again?? I just don't see the point in that. I get what your saying though.
The only weigh that would work for me is to start with a heavier base weight.
The recessed holes are just to keep magnets in place(no sliding)

Brock, do those EPI 68's have the the same shift profile and weight distibution as Polaris 10-68 weight?
Yes, the new epi's do. There so close to the 10 series weights .
The older belly busters had a more aggressive profile.
I have a set of epi belly busters from 5 years ago and some from 10 years ago. Way different profiles from the 2.
False advertising if you ask me. Epi still calls them belly busters , but there nothing like they used to be.
I didn't get a letter saying they changed the profile, did anyone???

5E46719A-A19E-4AF0-8F31-B6DE400568B7.jpeg
These did not work. Magnets need to be on the side

Curious what problem they have?

Curious what problem they have?
The magnets didn’t hold to the underside. Didn’t take long either
Needs to be on thrust or trail side of weight .

Oh well. Just an experiment

Back
Top Bottom