• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Need help Polaris not helping

Nebberr

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
05 Switchback
I need a "letter of compliance" from Polaris so that I can import into Canada an 05 Switchback that I bought in Michigan. Because the compliance sticker fell off
Polaris will not do anything for me.
mad.gif
I hear that it is no problem with other manufactures to supply this information. I do not understand why they will not help me. Just my luck the first Polaris I own and I am getting screwed. Does anyone know what I can do or who I can call? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I need a "letter of compliance" from Polaris so that I can import into Canada an 05 Switchback that I bought in Michigan. Because the compliance sticker fell off
Polaris will not do anything for me.
mad.gif
I hear that it is no problem with other manufactures to supply this information. I do not understand why they will not help me. Just my luck the first Polaris I own and I am getting screwed. Does anyone know what I can do or who I can call? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Whats the sticker look like? Can you post a picture of it on a sled that its on already?

Every time I've imported something to Canada it has not been a problem it's usually been in the Canadian system already have you checked. to be honest I've never done anything from Polaris does it have to be a sticker or just the letter one more thing I know there somewhere you put your Vin number on the import site and it tells you whether your machine is in the system or not I'm sorry it's been a while I'm just trying to help

It would not have been a problem if the compliance label was on the tunnel but for some reason it is not. All I need from Polaris is a letter stating that when it was manufactured that it had a compliance label on it. And all Polaris production models have a compliance labels. WTF If it was an Arctic Cat or Yamaha this is a non issue they supply any info needed. I have all ready brought it in to Canada payed the non-refundable inspection fee $330.00 export fee $69.00 US. Now without a letter from Polaris the sled can not stay in Canada. I am totally f...ed here. Not very happy with Corp. Polaris

Did some reading on another forum and it sounds like Polaris puts this "Statement Of Compliance" information in their recall letter. Below I've attached two different quotes from two different people in the same forum thread...

TimG;2088184 said:
OK, thanks to everyone for all the help & empathy, but I've got to say I feel like quite the fool.

Apparently I've been fighting the wrong battle all along. When I talked to Transport Canada today, the guy briefly mentioned that I should check the recall letter again. He then talked for about half an hour about how to try to contact the SSCC and Polaris engineering group to get the letter of compliance, and I was so intent on trying to take it all in, I forgot all about his remark about the recall letter. Finally I remembered and took another look at it, and lo and behold, the wording sure looked like the letter of compliance I've been chasing after so hard. I called the RIV to verify, and sure enough, it does double duty as recall letter and letter of compliance (only thing it's missing is the date of manufacture, but I have the MSO, or something else can apparently be printed off by the dealer). So I've been chasing after something I had right under my nose all along!
redface.gif

So now the hurdle to overcome is that the VIN as stamped by the manufacturer is gone. Tri-City engraved the VIN back on after they replaced the tunnel, but when I tried to take it across on Friday night, the customs guy noticed it was done with an engraving pen and sure didn't like it. However, I should have a pretty good chance because the tunnel was replaced by a dealer and the replacement was fully documented. Tri-City is willing to write a letter stating where, when, how, why, and by whom the tunnel was replaced. I'm going to check further into what's needed tomorrow. From talking to the Superintendant of the Coutts Crossing (real nice guy), I believe I can get some sort of a file or confirmation # so I don't have to go through all the explanations again when I get there.

I know, I know, everybody's thinking I should quit being so anal and just go try again, but now I'm spooked, and when I drive the 7 hours down there I want to be nice and relaxed, knowing I'm bringing both sleds home.

Thanks for all the efforts of people trying to help with the compliance letter, and I'm really sorry about your time & energy wasted on this wild goose chase!

Tim

From the Transport Canada officials in Ottawa:

" Dear Mr. Smith,

In speaking with Polaris customer service in the US, Transport Canada was able to establish that confusion is arising from the fact that Polaris does not provide compliance documentation for snowmobiles being imported in the United States, let alone Canada. Therefore any request for compliance documentation will be met with some resistance.

The Polaris unit enquiry document attached does have some merit in regards to importing the snowmobile into Canada because it establishes that it was manufactured and certified for sale in the United States were it was first sold as new. It would have had to be certified to SSCC to be allowed to enter the U.S. market. This proves sufficient for Transport Canada to meet the requirements to allow entry into the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). You can provide a copy of this message at the Canadian border upon entry if necessary. My contact information is located in my signature block it border officials require further confirmation.

A word of caution: although this will allow you to enter the RIV program, it does not guaranty successful permanent importation. As the importer, you are responsible to ensure that any recalls or service bulletins that affect safety have been addressed prior to having the snowmobile inspected in Canada. We strongly advise you to confirm with the RIV

Back
Top Bottom