• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

New member....’17 SBA Setup?

LIVINtheLIFE

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
‘17 SBA 800
Hey everyone, first off I’m a new member, just spent the last 2 hours researching the site. I have a bone stock ‘17 SBA 800 w/1.352 track that I bought new with around 2800mi on it now. I decided this year to do some mods to it for myself rather then trading up. Cruising the site I’m seeing tons of options that are at sometimes complete gibberish and overwhelming and at other times make sense. To be more specific I ride in NW Ontario and northern Minnesota(or atleast did before borders closed). Primarily it’s about 40/40/20-Trail/Lake/Deep snow. But keep in mind the lakes around here majority are untouched and ungroomed. From what I’ve gathered I see a good setup would be QAP3’s(start at 68g), 120-310 primary spring, 140-220 secondary with the stock helix. Any details I’m possibly missing or should know? Example any specific brand of springs? Delrin washers? Also any potential places in Canada to order from? With borders being closed and exchange rates the way they are it would make it somewhat easier. Thanks for all the help.

You’re on the right track for a decent trail setup.
You could order from Dalton as they are in NS. They don’t sell the secondary spring you’re looking for. You can get that from the dealer.

You can get the QAP3S and grab a 120/300 or a 135/310 primary spring.

I found a dealer in Canada for all this stuff, picked up some delrin washers for both clutches, Venom 120-310 primary and 140-220 secondary. Along with a set of QAP3’s. Stock helix as of now, stock gearing etc. I’m hoping it’s not too much in regards to using the sled for fishing, towing a sleigh and also any slush or deep snow conditions on the lake. I understand no clutch setup is good for anything but if I can have a happy medium for the conditions I mentioned before that would be ideal for me.

If you’re towing a sled on a slushy lake often I’d recommend going with a lower gear ratio.
23/43 with a 72 pitch chin is a 1:91 ratio. That will still be trail friendly but give you the low end grunt you’ll need.

I agree, it’s rare but depending on ice condition slush can happen. I probably only tow a sleigh 5-10% of the time. And I’ve never had an issue with the stock gearing(23/40, 1.74). I built a box last year that’s been able to haul all my ice fishing gear on the tunnel for a more “lightweight” setup.

Attachments

• DA2B0B8E-0E0B-4A49-961E-0C40B6ACC208.jpeg
    DA2B0B8E-0E0B-4A49-961E-0C40B6ACC208.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 225
  • EECC98E2-2F4A-478F-BFAE-997DB30B341C.jpeg
    EECC98E2-2F4A-478F-BFAE-997DB30B341C.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 216
You’re on the right track for a decent trail setup.
You could order from Dalton as they are in NS. They don’t sell the secondary spring you’re looking for. You can get that from the dealer.

You can get the QAP3S and grab a 120/300 or a 135/310 primary spring.

Got it all installed last night along with a freshly broken in Gates belt. Venom primary 120/310 and a Venom secondary 140/220. Delrin washer on each side of the primary and 3 in the secondary(under cup, in cup and in retainer). QAP3’s installed with the total weight 66g +1.9 insert at tip. Stock helix, which if I remember correctly read 58/44-.36. I made a couple runs and noticed it pulls 8100rpm off the line then climbs to 8300rpm slowly. Some belt slippage at the start in primary but I believe this to be because my deflection was still slightly loose for the break in if the belt, was especially noticeable in reverse. I may try backing the screws out to the heel of the weights and re-test. I only did 1 run for ~1320ft and she pulled 8300rpm at 97mph, but there was still about 3/4” of sharpie leftover on the primary for shift out not being used.

That’s perfect. Can’t ask for the clutches to perform better then that.
Other then getting it to full shift out which may require you to gear down a bit.

I’ll gear down if I go to a 1.5 IceRipper track in the future for sure when the 1.35 is done.

Little update tho for anybody cruising on the forums, my original setup I noticed was in the 87/Ethanol fuel map on the sled. I took it out today after I got the sea foam and some good fuel in the tank finally and changed to the 91/Non-ethanol setting. I also moved the 1.9g weights to the heel, big difference in mid range pull and smoother engagement. I saw a 200rpm increase off the line and held it no issues, 8500rpm was too easy, but quite the power decrease. She fell flat on her face at 8350 almost to the point where I thought the worst. In saying that I’m going to increase the weight again tomorrow and play around. I’m thinking I’m going to put the 0.7g weights right to the tip and then add the 2.5g weights at the heel. Should be and increase of around 1.3g but with most weight still being at the heel. Hopefully brings me back down to the peak 8250-8300rpm.

Back
Top Bottom