• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

New Member 2018 Assault 144

MDGFLHR

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2018 Polaris 800 Assault
Hello everyone. I recently bought a used 2018 Assault 144 and I serviced adjusted the chain per manual and new belt and adjusted that. Problem I'm having is one the sled warms up the sled wants to lurk forward and on a stand the track spins fairly fast I know you want some movement when on a stand but I already loosened belt to stop it some. Sled has 3100 miles like I said I did the service new fluid chain adjusted everything new plugs greased everything. Dont wanna get stranded. This is my wife's sled and shes just getting back into riding. I'm new to Polaris and I ride a Sidewinder. Maybe bad spring? Any ideas would help alot thanks Mark

Hello everyone. I recently bought a used 2018 Assault 144 and I serviced adjusted the chain per manual and new belt and adjusted that. Problem I'm having is one the sled warms up the sled wants to lurk forward and on a stand the track spins fairly fast I know you want some movement when on a stand but I already loosened belt to stop it some. Sled has 3100 miles like I said I did the service new fluid chain adjusted everything new plugs greased everything. Dont wanna get stranded. This is my wife's sled and shes just getting back into riding. I'm new to Polaris and I ride a Sidewinder. Maybe bad spring? Any ideas would help alot thanks Mark
Do you have the correct belt and possibly the belt deflection is just a little tight . Back the adjusting bolt on the side of the secondary clutch a 1/2 turn and retighten the locking nut and see if it stops moving on the ground.

Yes I have the right belt and I've adjusted the belt deflection twice it's on the loose side. I'm guessing a broken primary or secondary spring.

yes it must be engaging less than 3000 rpm. Put a 120/310 primary and a 140/200 or 220 secondary spring with some 68 gram weights. Your do for that with the miles it has on it

Pull the primary off. Inspect the spring. And make sure the weights are not grinding into the housing. Then pull the cover , remove spring make sure that the moveble sheeve slides up and down the post easily. It should just drop. Now make sure the cover does the same. If they don’t inspect bushings. And measure the post. To make sure it’s not swollen. While your in there you should inspect the rollers also. Make sure the primary bolt is t interfering with cover sliding out. it should not be . Not all of that would create your issue BUT since it’s off look it over good . Then take your new belt and measure the side clearance between belt an clutch sheeves. If it’s way to tight then somebody shimmed it to tight. (As long as you first make sure the clutch is opening all the way. When you reinstall primAry torque it , run it on stand for a lil bit or onground if you have snow. And retorque it or it could come loose.

first of all, this doesn't have anything to do with the chain case

with track off the ground it is completely normal for the track to turn

when you have track on the the ground do you have belt squeal? If not I think your fine if you adjusted the belt properly. is the belt riding about 1/8 above the secondary clutch? i like setting my deflection tight as I can without belt squealing.

Also just to be sure have you verified that you have the correct oem belt?

Just a question did you check the clutch offset. I know at times if you pull the 2ndary off some of the shims can stick to the clutch and fall off if not noticed. How far above the 2ndary is the clutch riding when the sled is not running. Check the primary spring if its broke or distorted and make sure the primary is not hanging up. Then go back through your clutch alignment again. If you still have a problem try a different belt to see if the problem is still there.
Let us know whet you find

Back
Top Bottom