• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

New Member with questions

ReedZ

Country
Canada
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2011 pro r rush 800 retro
Hi All,
I'm a new member but have been a lurker for a while reading. This is my first post. I've been riding for several years and had many sleds. I am just in the process of upgrading from my current 2011 RUSH 800 RETRO to a 2017 PRO-S 800 Switchback that I just purchased and am picking up later this week. Of course I'm already thinking of clutching and gearing and I wanted to ask for some guidance to go along with what I've read thus far.
Sled has an ice attack track on it. I weigh around 250 or so suited up. 95% of my riding is fast hard packed trails in soutwestern/central Ontario. Based on what I have been reading I was thinking I would re gear to 23/40 with 70P chain. This is 1.74? Helix either a 50/44 or 54/44? Next I was going to try 68 weights and then move up to 70's or can I get away with 70g? For springs, this is where I'm a bit lost. I'm not sure what spring rates I should be looking at. I've read 140/320 might be a good one for primary with a 140/220 for secondary Or is a 155/222 a good sec? What about Delrin washers?
My goal isn't to be hitting 110mph all the time. My goal is to be fast through the low and mid with an ok top end.

Hoping the experts could chime in here and let me know if I'm on the right track or if I should be switching some of the items I've listed.

Thanks for your time and your input.

Gearing choice is good. Use the 68 weights with a 120-310 primary 48-44 full progressive helix and a 120-200 first or 140-220 spring. I have used 3 delrins with no issues. One on each side of the spring and one under the cup..

Last edited:
Thanks for the response racerdave
Just a couple questions on your recommendations simply for my own education. Are you thinking the 50/44 is too aggressive based on my setup ie track and studs and rider weight? Same question for choosing 68g over 70g. Just trying to understand how one would differ from the other? What is the difference between the two secondary springs you listed, meaning how does each specifically affect the potential sled performance.

Thanks again and I appreciate your patience through my learning process

Last edited:
I ran a 15 SWB8. You weight is the same as mine was. What I posted is what worked for me. Last year I added SLP pipe and can, and a P2. Ran even better.

Thanks
I’ll try out your recommendations

Hey Racerdave
A follow up question. I now have my new sled and the track that’s on it is the ice Attak XT with 1.22” lug
Based on this I just wanted to confirm that you’d still recommend the 48-44 helix. One of the guys I ride with has offered to sell me a northstar Rick custom cut helix but I’m Leary as don’t know the angles/etc and if it would suit my planned setup.
Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Many guys have been happy with North Star, a few haven't. I would still use the 48-44 with that track. Most shops that sell clutch kits/custom cuts won't tell their angles on a helix. I belive he stamps his with some number like NSP1 etc. Maybe find out what number is on it if at all and call Rick and ask if that helix is good for what you have.

Gear 1.68 or 1.73 same results 54-44 hard on belts 50-44 or 48-44 good choices I like 48-44 155-222 good for radar run no good for trail riding 140-220 primary 120-310 or 120-320 hot days 310 cold days 320 Weights 68 work for me I am 250 pounds Too my sled xcr800 washers are a must I have spares on hand I also am in the London area so I think we might ride the same trails

Thanks for the additional feedback. I’m currently gathering parts to do this change
I’ve got my 120/310 and my 140/220 springs along with 3 Delrin washers now and the 48/44 helix was ordered last week along with a new gates belt.
Ordering my 40t gear and 70p chain tomorrow.
Looking forward to getting it all done and ready to ride

Clutch kit I bought came with set up very similar to what was suggested above but included 70g wts, it simply will not pull them on the top end / does work very well low to upper mid though. Yes moving to 68g wts with rest of combo the same for this year.

Hi all ,just joined this site in the spring ,have a 2017 800 switchback le got a NSP Helix and SLP Magnum weights for this season , looking for top end as well ,dealer says to drop bottom gear to 40 with 70 p chain and 68 s think I will put in 120/200 and delrins in secondary and leave the black green in primary as it is new , was wondering if going with the Gates belt and and also putting in the plastic washers in the primary to help with a smoother shift anyone have and experience with these. Thanks , and didt mean to high jack thread.

Yes I think it is ,however Im going to ask the guy that I got it from as he ,upgraded to a 850, I didn't get the springs from him as I want to have new ones, going to try it first with out gearing down ,just helix weights and springs .try these magnun weights around 68 gr to start as well.

It is stamped A and has # 1 And #2 which number should I use?

Kit purchased for my '16 800 Rush came with an A-2 helix with position 1 OR 2. Suggest you contact Rick on Facebook or HCS for his take on the helix you have. He sent me a second helix to test last year marked H-2 with position 1 / 2. While he suggests 70g wts for his kit, my sled simply would not pull them on anything but glare ice and fell flat on it's face on the top in any kind of snow it is however a monster in the low into upper mid range though. Feel pretty strong dropping back to 68g will be it's sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom