• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

New to Polaris / Secondary clutch has movement on driveshaft

Kevin Rusch

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2015 Switchback Pro-X
So this year I made the switch to Polaris and purchased a used 2015 Switchback 800 Pro-X. while going through it to get ready for this season, I noticed that the Secondary clutch has movement. If I grab the clutch and push and pull on it, it slides on the driveshaft about a 1mm or 2, and the bolt that holds the clutch on is tight. This did not seem normal to me, but never having a Polaris I am not sure, if this is a wear problem what do i need to do to fix the issue?
Thanks....

So this year I made the switch to Polaris and purchased a used 2015 Switchback 800 Pro-X. while going through it to get ready for this season, I noticed that the Secondary clutch has movement. If I grab the clutch and push and pull on it, it slides on the driveshaft about a 1mm or 2, and the bolt that holds the clutch on is tight. This did not seem normal to me, but never having a Polaris I am not sure, if this is a wear problem what do i need to do to fix the issue?
Thanks....

Completely normal and preferred 1/4-3/8 inch of float to keep secondary lined up with primary under load.

Congrats on the new sled, you'll love it!

Agree. I removed all but one or two on all mine - just make sure there's enough to prevent the secondary from contacting anything in the back. Don't do anything with those on the bolt though.

Completely normal and preferred 1/4-3/8 inch of float to keep secondary lined up with primary under load.

Congrats on the new sled, you'll love it!
I just took my secondary off and put it back on to clean it but after reinstalling it it didn’t have any float, I torqued it to 16 foot pounds which is spec but I’m puzzled on why it’s not floating in and out. Do you know why this is happening or what I did to cause it?

I just took my secondary off and put it back on to clean it but after reinstalling it it didn’t have any float, I torqued it to 16 foot pounds which is spec but I’m puzzled on why it’s not floating in and out. Do you know why this is happening or what I did to cause it?
Did it have float before you took it apart? Some of the sleds around your year had zero float from the factory for some unknown reason and need to be adjusted to get some.

Did it have float before you took it apart? Some of the sleds around your year had zero float from the factory for some unknown reason and need to be adjusted to get some.
Yes it did, I took a shim out of behind the clutch and it seemed to fix the issue. Thank you tho man

Back
Top Bottom