• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Opinions and comments on 02 XC700 and 04 RMK 700 Vertical Escape

Tony Mendez

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2004 Polaris RMK 700
2002 Polaris XC700
I recently picked up a couple of sleds. A 2002 XC700 and a 2004 RMK 700 Vertical Escape. Both sleds are clean with no signs of damage and appear to have been well maintained, which is the reason I picked them up. Here is what I have noticed on them:
The XC sounds like its got an engine tick. It starts and runs great. No real complaints except for that engine tick. There are 5400 miles showing on the odometer.
The Vertical Escape Starts and runs great most of the time. Once in a while it will seem to bog down when pinning it. If I let up on the throttle and get back on it, it takes off nice. There are 3400 miles showing on the odometer.

The suspensions on both sleds are in good condition and the tracks were replaced last year.

Anyone have any opinions, comments, suggestions and recommendations for these older machines?
IMG_1091 (2).jpg

I recently picked up a couple of sleds. A 2002 XC700 and a 2004 RMK 700 Vertical Escape. Both sleds are clean with no signs of damage and appear to have been well maintained, which is the reason I picked them up. Here is what I have noticed on them:
The XC sounds like its got an engine tick. It starts and runs great. No real complaints except for that engine tick. There are 5400 miles showing on the odometer.
The Vertical Escape Starts and runs great most of the time. Once in a while it will seem to bog down when pinning it. If I let up on the throttle and get back on it, it takes off nice. There are 3400 miles showing on the odometer.

The suspensions on both sleds are in good condition and the tracks were replaced last year.

Anyone have any opinions, comments, suggestions and recommendations for these older machines?View attachment 2747
Hi, Lots of tuning time and miles on the xc700....quite possibly the best trail sled built....as long as the conditions are not too rough. Clutching terrible from factory. 62g/140-310/46-36F/blue orange fixed that. Jetted down a couple sizes and ran a tempaflow. Fixed that. Will run ahead of many older 800s . Mine dropped a skirt after 3800 miles, it was always warmed up properly , Polaris oil, etc., and still failed. I would check it out. Very warm sled to ride, obviously not a stand up sled, but butter smooth up to the limits of the falling rate front end and position sensitive rear shock. Thx.

Thanks for the input Brian. I appreciate it

Thanks for the input Brian. I appreciate it
Regarding the RMK 700, for trail use and off-trail snow, ie not mountains, stock gearing, stock helix with 160-260 spring, 64 grams with 150-310 spring, or 66g with 165-310 almond red spring. It will pull more weight than the xc as it must overcome the added secondary pressure in the team clutch to shift out. Secondary pressure can be adjusted to get a straight 8000rpm throughout the shift, but anything less than 140-240 will have a lazy backshift/downshift, in my experience. Thx.

I noticed today when I started warming the track on the RMK that the detonation light flashed when I tried to bring the rpm up. Engine had been running a couple of minutes. The detonation light flashed that one time then didn't come back on the rest of the day. Is this one of those nuisance things or is it something I should figure out?

Back
Top Bottom