• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Polaris Centurion

Nortrider

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
1994- now
Snowmobile
16 pro s ltd
Anyone out there run one? And how did they perform? I have a chance to get a good one for cheap. And also how did it do against the competition?

Man, that brings back memories. That is a 500 triple single pipe sled if memory serves me.
They were a high strung sled in their time.

Wow this old centurion is awesome! I love the sound of the old triple. I may right it stock for the rest of the season and next season comes the triple pipes!!!

I remember Steve Houle had one that he raced ovals one year. He went undefeated til Beausejour when he stopped out of what is now corner four and the sled caught fire under the hood. He got off of the sled and went to the snow bank at the inside of the track and proceeded to throw copious amounts of snow at the engine to stop it from burning down. Apparently per cc that engine could make the most horsepower when modified.

Very fast sled in its day,no sled beat mine from 1980 to 1986,when the 600 indy triple came out.Very lite sled for the 80 h.p. triple.VERY high strung engine,very narrow h.p. curve.They would stick a piston if you tried to go 80 m.p.h. in 4 to 6 inches of snow.After a few thousand miles it was really hard to keep in the powerband.Absolutly loved this sled in its day,this sled would really wheely if you could get it to hook up.

Does anybody have any good 1000ft setups for this baby in the memory bank? The local snowmobile club is having some races and I would love to show the vintage class who is best!

Make sure you stay within 200 rpms of the powerban,if running on ice drag strip,make sure you have sharp studs made for ice racing and not for trail riding.Use as many as you need to keep from spinning too much.if your going to race in a stock class you cant change too much,you will have to find out the stock rules.horsepower falls off quick on this engine if you are not on the powerband.Studs should stick out at least 3/8 inch above lug,i would go 1/2 inch

albee, What about gear ratio and clutching? It has a big low end bog but I think its the clutching

I always ran stock clutching and gearing,never any bog.Make sure your clutches are not worn,belt not worn,and not too much belt deflection.

Very fast sled in its day,no sled beat mine from 1980 to 1986,when the 600 indy triple came out.Very lite sled for the 80 h.p. triple.VERY high strung engine,very narrow h.p. curve.They would stick a piston if you tried to go 80 m.p.h. in 4 to 6 inches of snow.After a few thousand miles it was really hard to keep in the powerband.Absolutly loved this sled in its day,this sled would really wheely if you could get it to hook up.

albee your memory is off a little. the Indy 600 came out in 1983

My centurion has been going awesome but I have a major bog when you get on it from dead stop in a drag race. I have put the clutching all in factory spec and good alignment. I cleaned the carbs extremely well and synced them also. It helped it out a little bit but still bog! is this something they have trouble with?

Are you running a new belt, set properly? Are the clutch springs new? If not replace all. If all is yes put the secondary spring in hole 3. Jetting set for temps?

Yup new gates belts. All new spring rollers weights. And jetting has been changed for the warmer weather we are having now. The secondary spring is in hole 2 like factory spec but going to hole 3 make a difference? I think is more than that but I'm will try it for sure.

Not sure if these pipes will fit in the centurion chassis,but you have to have the pipes made exactually for this engine,unless someone knows 580 xlt pipes will work on a 500 centurion.I read somewhere there is some small trick to get these engines to run really well,but I cant remember what it was or where I read it . I think it was from Larry Rudland,who owned a snowmobile speed shop,not sure if he is still in business,i think he might of passed away.Somehow I would try to find this trick [remedy] out because this cured the runibility problems with this engine. Engines seem to run really strong for a few thousand miles,then they would lose power at certain rpms,[we had 3 of them].Never could figure out what problem was myself,but if I remember right the above trick solved it.I think it was something electrical or with timing. good luck.

I wonder If Olav Aaen would know? He has pipes for the centurion on his website

Albee, that would be Larry Rugland. He helped develop the Polaris primary clutch among many other poo developments.

Back
Top Bottom