• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Polaris P2 clutch users

racerdave

Staff member
Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
since 1976
Snowmobile
AXYS Switcher 800,Indy600sp,XCSP600ves
When I first took apart the used P2 I bought, and a week later the brand new P2 I bought, I thought the snap ring wasn't seated all the way into the ring groove like it should. I took the clutchs back apart, installed just the helix and washer and the snap ring still didn't seat fully. When I put them back together I used my dremel to grind out the inner ID on the washer. This allows the washer to sit a little lower on the splines, but still not falling past them. I took roughly .025 to .030 off the ID which makes the actual ID .050 to 060 bigger. Snap rings now seat fully and will eliminate any chance of it popping off. Looking through old online threads on the P2, I found many claims of them popping apart. Check yours if you use a P2. The pic is not square that's why it looks like more off the left side. FWIW I did try with the helix installed, it was not part of the reason the snap ring would not seat.

IMG_1293.JPG

Is the problem the slot for snap ring on shaft ur talking about?

By the way, taking 0.025+ off that washer will let it shift out more too. I take material off back of helix for that

Is the problem the slot for snap ring on shaft ur talking about?

By the way, taking 0.025+ off that washer will let it shift out more too. I take material off back of helix for that

No the problem is the ID of the washer is to small. It then sits too high over the shaft splines and the snap ring can't seat enough into the groove. Check one with no helix. Just drop the washer on the clutch post. You will see how high it rides. If you have one, take a old snap ring. Cut it in half. Drop the washer on then slip the half clip into the groove. You will see the washer get cocked. No taking .025 off the washer. My washers are are .022 thick.

Ok got it.

You're making washer ID larger to stop snagging in snap ring grove

Back
Top Bottom