• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Poor handling twitchy feel

Michael Hicks

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2015 ayxs 800 60th
Recently sold the Indy 800 loved the top end speed but missed the rush ride ,picked up a 60th 800 axys set up gearing and clutches ,rides great but have never had a sled so twitcky and scary when letting off the throttle , fellow riders I let try comment how scary it is , I know many may reply what to run but I am looking for those who actually had the same concerns and made changes that helped ,my sled is 84 studs and has 9 inch shapers bars not a big fan of them but it does rail in corners,they were on the sled when I bought it this season your thoughts ,?

Did u align skis with track (parallel)then do step number two and an 1/8 to 1/4" toe out ?? This needs to be done or sled will dart if it's off .

What are the ifs, fts and rts spring settings ??

Your rider weight ?

Did u align skis with track (parallel)then do step number two and an 1/8 to 1/4" toe out ?? This needs to be done or sled will dart if it's off .

What are the ifs, fts and rts spring settings ??

Your rider weight ?
Toe set to1/8 out ifs 2 turns stiffer shock at 4 off soft rear 2 turns stiffer shock 2 off soft fts stock setting shock 4 off soft driver 250 total riding position usually on the tank I spent all last weekend ride adjusting multiple combinations , almost unsafe on hard groom trails /afternoon when snow soften up and skis more down in the snow it was manageable with ifs backed off big time and rear shock also backed off

Adjust toe out to 1/4"

Your ifs is two turns stiffer??? Don't you measure spring preload or just turn it ???

Rear is two turns stiffer?? Again, measure spring preload from stock .

Make measurements and mark them down so you can always go back , it's just good practice

You increased ski pressure twice. You turned ifs two turns stiffer and rear two turns stiffer . This is one of your problems of your darting for sure .

Sorry was vague on setting when I stated 2,turns I meant over stock factory measurements for minimum spec all my fellow riders have woody dually and keep telling me together them I still believe the shapers will work but i may try the duallys

Shim your skis. Basically free and easy to do

I had similar issues last season, set the ifs back to factory 2 1/2, set fts to 1 3/4 and the rear to 2 5/8. I find if the fts is to soft the sled becomes unpredictable.

It would appear the Rush Pro S is predisposed to being twitchy vs the Switchback, even worse once you have a few miles on it and the FTS starts to collapse. Found mine was better with FTS closer to factory max but it didn't last long as the FTS continued to sack out. Huge difference in both ride quality and much reduced darting once I dumped the dual rate spring in favor of a straight 150lb. Read post after post after post on other sites were peeps tried the straight rate spring and reported poor ride quality, I've experienced the exact opposite, yes even with stock valving in FT shock.
I'm just as pleased with how well it now performs on junked out trails. Where I'd previously resigned myself to standing through the bumps and putting up with more bottoming than it should, now plows through with my butt on the seat bottoming only on the bumps I'd expect it to.
Feel confident it will be just that much better after I have the shocks freshened up and revalved for next season.

Last edited:
Yes I'd previously checked / set toe to 1/4 out total (thanks again to my good for nothing dealer that assured me twice it had been check at PDI and again when it was in for service. Sled was in fact set at 1/8" toe in) and shimmed skis. Prior to finally changing the FTS, saw a considerable reduction in darting running a pair of Pilot skis with single carbide up the center and wear bar only on the outside. Not a bad ski for the Rush under most conditions but once your on fresh or soft snow they give up too much bite.

Carbides, I touch them up on a green stone every couple or three rides, find the sled does not need anything more than a 4" carbide on either the stock or Pilots skis. Yes mine is studded with 3 per bar, previously tried 8" carbides n felt the sled had way too much bite on ice. Carbide being positioned directly under the spindle makes more efficient use of it vs many sleds that position it further forward.

Check for loose nuts and bolts on the spindals. The paint on the painted spindals will crush over time and then all of the fasteners need to be re-tightened.

I was amazed mine got loose after about 1000 miles, but after tightening 600 miles ago mine are still tight.

If you have too much carbide and not enough studs it will get that twitchy feeling. Thats why the Switchback has a more settled feel, because it is longer. You probably need to throw some studs in the back also get some skis that reduce the darting or put Woodys duallies on the stock skis. They will not dart!

Last edited:
In my case, 3 per bar so not a shortage of studs. Only takes a second on a Switch to see it doesn't have a hint of darting, yes suspect it's because the skid being longer better supports the front end.
However, after riding both, still feel the Rush better suits what I'm after.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I aligned the skis to the track and set 1/4 toe out checked all spindle hardware the upper a arm bushings were kind of loose slid the posts into the bushings and they tightened up nicely no more walking a arms going to give it a try this weekend ride safe ,

Where was alignment previously set?
How close to factory max are you on the FTS?

I was at 1/8 toe out and for new shapers they half wore in the front makes me believe it is riding on its tippy toes pardon the expression so I aligned frontend to the track set to 1/4 out fts was stock measure but I tightened 2 turns exact to comp format weight ,I did shim the skis last evening , and now its level

Went on first ride since setting toe to 1/4 out and setting suspension to stock measurements.kept shapers put on new gates belt set proper deflection 50/44 155/222 120/300 and #634 70.5 weights( those are cat weights ) close profile to Dalton's that I had 1:74 I ran belt in before pulling the trigger but could tell if was much more responsive sleds now runs to 7950-8000 then climbs to 8250 and stays and as far as any twitchy or darting it was perfect handled great thanks to all in this forum mainly Brock for your openness on helping and giving suggestions

Back
Top Bottom