• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Pro steer vs grippers skis?

axsault

If I order the 2017 assault

Just wondering if the grippers are good on the trail or not. I'm 50/50 off trail

I like the wider ski but has deeper keel

Had slp powder pros on last sled. Blazed the trail no problem.

I have no complaints with the oem skis on my Axys, I can't keep it straight if they are grippers or? I do have Powder Pro's on my Indy, because I had them laying around since 2006 unused. Great ski's.

Splitt rails are my personal favorite.hands down! But I ride fast trail! Would not recomen them of trail due to lack of experience in the off trail. Brock has C&A's on his way they might be a ticket y a lookin for great on th trail and a bit wider than flotation of th trail

I see the Polaris grippers are 6 3/4" wide with a 1 1/2" keel height..
The pro steers are 1" keel height.
The 1 1/2" keel might be to much for groomed trails on the gripper ski's???

I have a set of C&A Pro3 xcs ski's and they rail the corners in groomed trails hard. Get you up on powdered snow good too. The thing is they rail so good on groomed trails it gives you Popeye arms,lol. It's the one inch keel, 8 inch carbide that do this. I had to loosen my ski pressure by 5/16" from stock ski's as they bite so hard on groomed trails. They work perfect in powder snow though.
It's almost a perfect 50/50 ski.
Problem is they rail so hard on groomed trails that it takes a little to much effort.
The ski's are 6 3/4" wide with a 1 inch keel. I also have 8 inch carbide.
I'm cutting the keel down 1/4" to make it 3/4" keel overall and they will be perfect then.
I'm worried about the 1 1/2" keel on gripper ski's for you as they might bite to hard on groomed trails as I've seen on my C&A ski's.
Screenshot_20160325-163240.png

I tried a 2016 assult for the day. I assume it was the pro steers. Worked good. Just maybe want a little bit wider skis for playing in the powder.

We have gripper ski on our 17' Assault. I find the sled has ALOT of ski pressure and I'm just wondering if the grippers make it even worse with their keel and aggressive carbide (if installed). In comparison to the PRO S switch with the Pro Steers....there is a night and day difference. The Assault is almost TOO POSITIVE. ON hard park or in the fields....unless you are in alot snow.....any abrupt turn of the skis could result in easily being able to tip/roll the sled. Just driving the sled around the yard with an abrupt turn you can get it one ski with no effort.

Ive turned the ski spring pressure to the bare minimum as per MFG specs, but the ski pressure/turning pressure is heavy. Extremely positive. While I do enjoy the floatation and looks of the grippers....I don't like the extreme positive steering...it can be borderline dangerous depending on the terrain or conditions.

I was considering purchasing another Assault but I am second guessing the grippers.

Can anyone provide a comparison of their assault with standard Pro Steers?

i dont have experience with the grippers but i am running the SLP mohawks right now. They are very good off of the trail and just as good on. a little pricey though. with shaper bars they are quite aggressive on the trails and can give you popeye arms too, price to pay for amazing grip. because of the extra grip i am able to back off my RTS and get some fun ski lift on the bumps and coming out of the corners

I got the grippers and put the woodys duallys on. Work good and off trail is way better.

Did a lot of trails this winter

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I preferred the grippers over the pro steers too but I also had a broz dual rate springs.On trail and off.

I did the grippers with dual carbides. Worked good all round.

The problem with the Gripper skis on the trail isn't the keel height, it's the rocker of the keel. It makes for easy steering on the trail but they're not aggressive enough for an aggressive trail rider, in the conditions I ride in. We ran some Simmons Gen III skis on our demo and they were perfect IMO. They required a little more steering effort but were way more consistent than the factory Pro-steers plus added quite a bit of flotation off trail.

I have the C&A RZ's on my 2016 assault 144x2 and I absolutely hate them on trail. They dart and steer hardon trail, off trail they work great. I think I'm switching back to the gripper skis. Anyone else have this problem?

Just did another 400km on grippers on trail this weekend. No problem at all

Back
Top Bottom