• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Rear Shock Spring removal.

timebomb

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
‘16 SB 800 Pro S
I’m having some parts powder coated and wondered how to get the rear Shock spring off. ( The external rear Shock)

@Muffin has removed these before when he did some powder. Ill message him and see if he can lend some assistance if you still need it.

This is how I do it. Support the sled under the running boards with the track several inchs off the floor/ground. Put a floor jack under the track or I have a winch in my ceiling I attach to the rear bumper. {From my Apex heavy sled days!} Take the seat off. Take the gas tank neck nut off and tank mount bolt. This lets you move the tank around enough. Put just enough tension on the rear bumper or under the track whatever way you can to not compress the shock but support the track or bumper. Remove the shock bolts. Release the bumper or track and out comes the shock.

Last edited:
After you remove the shock itself just turn the collar to release tension, take off the retainer spin off the collar and remove the spring

Nice. Thanks. Sounds easy enough. Going to be sweet when I’m done

Preload on the spring after I loosened the collar all the way. I don’t have spring tool. Anyone have any ideas?

Can you squeeze the spring by hand to see if the adjuster is loose then? If so you should be able to turn the collar off with out any issue. If not try some HD zip ties. 2 180 from each other to compress spring enough. Good zip ties with a metal tooth that bites, not all plastic. The type cops use.

Can you squeeze the spring by hand to see if the adjuster is loose then? If so you should be able to turn the collar off with out any issue. If not try some HD zip ties. 2 180 from each other to compress spring enough. Good zip ties with a metal tooth that bites, not all plastic. The type cops use.
Incarcerated at some time in a former life? LOL :Tg

Last edited:
Incarcerated at some time in a former life? LOL :Tg

Ha! I actually spent 34 years as a squad car tech. Those hd zip ties worked well for lots of projects. Been retired now for 5+ years and I only have about 4 of them left!

I hear ya. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic at Fort Mc Coy military base. It's amazing what I find left in between and under seats in up armor Humvees and 5 ton LM/MT trucks after the soldiers leave from their 2 week training. Buckets full of spent brass, tactical sunglasses and flashlights, etc.

Back
Top Bottom