• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

RMK Overheated and now it won't start

flunnel

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
2001 RMK 800 153"
The last time I rode my 2001 RMK 800 it got really hot and I kept running it (like a fool), eventually it shut itself off and I couldn't get it started again. The engine isn't seized I can still pull the cord, but it's a little harder to do now and it sounds different when I do pull it. My question is this, what is the likely damage that I have done and where do I start with repairs now? I was thinking probably warped pistons.

When you over heat and kept running it, things can go south. It all depends.

If it was me.
I would tear engine apart,replace all gaskets, check cylinder for roundness, if good rehone, replace pistons and rings.

do a compression test first, most likely you took the temper out of the rings causing low compression,thus not enough to compress the air and fuel for proper Bang in cylinder to drive the piston..pull it apart as Brock said after you have some data,then start measuring..

Back
Top Bottom