• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Shootout Results

Powaton

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
Pro S 800
So the Polaris 800 did very well at the shootout this year as it has done every year.

My fanboy brand ego side likes that.

By my technical and "betting man" side thought the new 850 ski doo would have won. Or at least done better than it did.

Looking at DTR, it had all the power it needed. Looking at the spec sheets, it was light enough and had a decent track.

Jim had a good reminder that power at the crank is only 1/3 of the battle.

So why do you think Ski Doo didn't show better? Where did they lose the other 66%?

what shootout like to see some time sheets

Dyno tech/amsnow shootout. At the old barn Inlet ny. Just north of old forge. I don't have the sheets right in front of me .but they can be seen searching around the net. Poo won 800 stk and 800 prep.and 600 prep. Doo 600 stk. the 850 was run in conjunction with the 800 class and was bested by the Polaris 800. Poo ran Axys 800 switch and rush pros in 600. Doo and cat ran 129 all sleds had to run recommended studding in both amount and length .all studs were provided by woodys. And If I remember correctly they were megabites. Temps were about 20f and snow on the track. 1000 ft. Poo out et and out mph the 800 cat and 850 doo. It was a good day for Polaris.

I grabbed this off the net. A little shorthand and messy, but all the info is there.

T cat and sidewinder are on the bottom

Attachments

• post-113767-0-13043400-1481319826.jpg
    post-113767-0-13043400-1481319826.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 661
The uncoupled axys suspension is hard to beat for launching out of the hole and traction. The 2017 polaris have updated mapping that works way better than previous years. Ski doo is using a new clutch which might not be dialed in yet. And Ski doo fan boys are crying that ski doo break in kills performance more than polaris's break in. But nice to see that the shoot out results also confirm that video of the polaris assault whipping on that doo 850 last spring. Lots and lots of issues with the 850 popping up. Going to be fun kicking there butts this year

Hey that's a picture of the notes I was taking on the board in the pits. I'm still not sure how that got out. But it's all good.

Are you saying my penmanship is in question? Lol.

I agree with Cory
The uncoupled suspension Polaris has is hard to beat out of the hole . I actually think the soft spring clutching in that Polaris has stock helped .

But, that being said
Body positioning is huge in drag racing . So much so, it wins or loses races

I'm glad Polaris won, but next time it might not.

No doubt about it that Polaris has a good engine and chassis

Your right Brock I'm glad the poo won also but on any given day ya never know ..... If the assaults end up faster guess what's coming nxt year. Lol

After riding my Assault I have no doubt that they will be faster than the Rush chassis Poo's. I had a '16 short track Axys Rush last season and it just didn't have any top end. Went great to 100 MPH but then it fell off. My new Assault just keeps on trucking right past 100 mph. Saw 107 on the recall after one nice run down a short section of trail. Once the lakes freeze, I'll be able to get some lake runs in to confirm. Too bad they didn't run the Assault at the Shootout, that would have been interesting....

Hey that's a picture of the notes I was taking on the board in the pits. I'm still not sure how that got out. But it's all good.

Doo Talk

Last edited:
While I'm on a roll insulting people... :) What does dealer prep consist of? It seems like those machines are often slower.

Matt I snagged that pic remember..
Ohhh no I don't remember I was so damn happy I was probably delerious. Lol. I had a good time hanging with ya Heath. You got my number give me a call when ya want to ride out this way.

After riding my Assault I have no doubt that they will be faster than the Rush chassis Poo's. I had a '16 short track Axys Rush last season and it just didn't have any top end. Went great to 100 MPH but then it fell off. My new Assault just keeps on trucking right past 100 mph. Saw 107 on the recall after one nice run down a short section of trail. Once the lakes freeze, I'll be able to get some lake runs in to confirm. Too bad they didn't run the Assault at the Shootout, that would have been interesting....
Good to hear . Let us know if they are consistantly faster and quicker in a 1000 ft. From dead stop. Using them was discussed but there are other powers at be with input and ultimately the pro platforms were decided on. For now.......

While I'm on a roll insulting people... :) What does dealer prep consist of? It seems like those machines are often slower.
It does seem that way and on paper it is that way a lot of times but there are many factors at play. Dealer prep is basically clutching and suspension set up. Yes the dealers and manufacturers would like to do some other things but it's not allowed and there is barley enough time to change the clutch parts and literally 0 time between runs so you can't even make a tweak if you wanted to. Years ago you could rejet etc but now you can't .not even a tuner is allowed .honestly that I don't understand cause it's basically just rejeting and now you could do timing also.i think it should be allowed in prep. All sleds in stock and prep have to run the recommended amount of studs and stud length this year woodys provided them .i believe they were megabites. Anyway to answer more directly about dealer prep speeds. A lot of it is do to track conditions. In the early part of the day the track is tight and packed it will support traction a lot better. The first runs by each sled are usually the fastest of the day. After you blow a bunch of sleds down the track including the big turbos it gets churned up and the et gets slower. They do a good job at tending to the track but it's nvr as good as the first couple passes. Also most companies including poo do a decent job now of clutching right out of the box so you don't see the huge gains that you would say in 1998 . (Also remember there is no time within the rules to regear) this years poo set up was pretty good and if that was run on the virgin track you would have seen the et drop a lil from stock and probably another 1 or 2 mph. The slowest run poo made was doo to a starting line issue I believe it was a combination of blowing the track followed by a ratchet at least that what it sounded and looked like to me.

It does seem that way and on paper it is that way a lot of times but there are many factors at play. Dealer prep is basically clutching and suspension set up. Yes the dealers and manufacturers would like to do some other things but it's not allowed and there is barley enough time to change the clutch parts and literally 0 time between runs so you can't even make a tweak if you wanted to. Years ago you could rejet etc but now you can't .not even a tuner is allowed .honestly that I don't understand cause it's basically just rejeting and now you could do timing also.i think it should be allowed in prep. All sleds in stock and prep have to run the recommended amount of studs and stud length this year woodys provided them .i believe they were megabites. Anyway to answer more directly about dealer prep speeds. A lot of it is do to track conditions. In the early part of the day the track is tight and packed it will support traction a lot better. The first runs by each sled are usually the fastest of the day. After you blow a bunch of sleds down the track including the big turbos it gets churned up and the et gets slower. They do a good job at tending to the track but it's nvr as good as the first couple passes. Also most companies including poo do a decent job now of clutching right out of the box so you don't see the huge gains that you would say in 1998 . (Also remember there is no time within the rules to regear) this years poo set up was pretty good and if that was run on the virgin track you would have seen the et drop a lil from stock and probably another 1 or 2 mph. The slowest run poo made was doo to a starting line issue I believe it was a combination of blowing the track followed by a ratchet at least that what it sounded and looked like to me.
Thanks. I figured it was more complicated than it seemed.

Back
Top Bottom