• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Starting and Running Issue?

R Foster

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
1993 Polaris classic Touring 2UP
I have 1993 Polaris Classic Touring w/Electric Start.

The original ignition switch appears to be a standard 5 terminal switch. The “B” battery terminal has rusted off. With the key in the start position and after a few pulls the machine will start however, the idle is terrible and while riding the machine it will turn off as if I hit the kill switch. Then it takes several pulls to get it started again.

I went to the auto store and bought 2 new spark plugs, while there I found a standard 5 terminal ignition switch with the same configuration as my OEM switch, although the switch is for a lawn tractor. I plugged the switch in and tried starting the machine.

The machine will turn over but will not start. I tried pull starting the machine but it will not start. I put the OEM switch back in the circuit with the rusted off “B” terminal and the machine pull started. I put the new switch back in the circuit and it will not pull start.

I removed the switch(s) from the circuit and tried starting the machine. It started on the first pull without a switch in the circuit. I took the machine for a test ride and it ran like a champ. The idle seemed fine, no bogging down and it did not turn off while ridding.

Do I have to use an OEM switch? Could there be a wiring issue? Am I missing something obvious?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bob

I have 1993 Polaris Classic Touring w/Electric Start.

The original ignition switch appears to be a standard 5 terminal switch. The “B” battery terminal has rusted off. With the key in the start position and after a few pulls the machine will start however, the idle is terrible and while riding the machine it will turn off as if I hit the kill switch. Then it takes several pulls to get it started again.

I went to the auto store and bought 2 new spark plugs, while there I found a standard 5 terminal ignition switch with the same configuration as my OEM switch, although the switch is for a lawn tractor. I plugged the switch in and tried starting the machine.

The machine will turn over but will not start. I tried pull starting the machine but it will not start. I put the OEM switch back in the circuit with the rusted off “B” terminal and the machine pull started. I put the new switch back in the circuit and it will not pull start.

I removed the switch(s) from the circuit and tried starting the machine. It started on the first pull without a switch in the circuit. I took the machine for a test ride and it ran like a champ. The idle seemed fine, no bogging down and it did not turn off while ridding.

Do I have to use an OEM switch? Could there be a wiring issue? Am I missing something obvious?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Bob

You have a short in that switch and the replacement has a ground in there that works different then your stock switch. You would have to take a tester on each terminal to see what does what to be sure they you have it hooked correctly. Be better off finding a sled junk yard and get a switch.

Back
Top Bottom