• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Stock Gearing Clarification

probill

I have 2016 Pro S 800 Switchback studded with 1.352 cobra. I would like to gear to 1.73 or 1.74 as recommended here. The service manual I have says stock gears are 23/37 . I am sure I have read here or on other forums that the top sprocket "stock" is a 22 tooth. Can someone verify this for me? I would like to buy the parts and have them ready to change over as soon as I take the chain case apart. Great forum here. Lots of very helpful stuff.

Screenshot_20160405-084449.png

It's a 23/37 with 68 pitch chain= 1.61 ratio

You can do a 1.73 ratio and keep 68 pitch chain? That's 22/38

Had mine apart many times....22/37 (1.68) is what was in there from the factory. '16 SWB Pro X 800 w/1.352" Cobra. Brock, I believe only the RipSaw II equipped sleds came with the 23/37 (1.61) gearing despite what the owner's manual or online fisch states.

Had mine apart many times....22/37 (1.68) is what was in there from the factory. '16 SWB Pro X 800 w/1.352" Cobra. Brock, I believe only the RipSaw II equipped sleds came with the 23/37 (1.61) gearing despite what the owner's manual or online fisch states.
You are correct, sorry.
Cobra and rip saw for that year were different.

What he said

It is 1.68 also had my cobra sled apart and it has 22/37 gearing p68 chain which is 1.68

All you need is 38 tooth bottom and you can use the factory p68 chain for 1.73

38T Venum team 930266 59.95

Don't forget to get sled reprogrammed on digital wrench so your speedo and odometer read correct

I was going to wait until the fall to ask this but since it,s come up now.
I just snow checked a Switchback Pro s LE which comes with a cobra track but I,m going to be putting on a Ice Attak XT.
Since I,m not studding I thought I should stick with 1.68 gear ratio.
Or would I be better do put a 38 tooth bottom as mentioned?

Typical Central ontario trails tight trails, rail lines, lakes, access roads etc.
I just thought changing the track now it's the perfect time to change the gearing if it is beneficial.
I might do some clutching later
I'm looking forward to riding this sled.
Coming off a 2012 Cat Turbo.

Thanks for the info everyone. Hope the clutching will not be too hard to figure out after the gear change.

"23:37 with a 68 link chain.
In the 800 Switchback Pro-S, the cobra and the Ripsaw ll both use the same gearing."
This is according to the owners manual, which as said in above threads, may be wrong.
Which leads me to wonder what the actual gears are in my '16 600 switchback Adventure with a 1.35 Cobra track.

Last edited:
I just edited my post at the same time you posted.
Sounds like a cluster f**** with the owner manual/ service manuals.
Funny thing is, the online parts lists show the same.:Banghead

With the Cobra track it came with 22/37 gearing. Just had track swapped to a Hacksaw with a 2.52 driver so put back in the 23/37 gearing. Not sure why they'd have different gearing between a Cobra and Ripsaw II?

With the Cobra track it came with 22/37 gearing. Just had track swapped to a Hacksaw with a 2.52 driver so put back in the 23/37 gearing. Not sure why they'd have different gearing between a Cobra and Ripsaw II?
I don't know??
Doesn't make sense as clutching is the same?:
I'd like to run the clutching dyno at Polaris,lol

Back
Top Bottom