• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Summer Projects

po1ar1s

Country
USA
Years Snowmobiling
Snowmobile
MY XCR 600 MY Assault 800
I'm new to the forum here. This is my first post so figured I would see if anyone has got some cool summer projects going on with their sleds or if people had some good success this season on some modified stuff. I've got customers curious about big bores. I've read about the Terra Alps 840 stroker on here, anyone else try one out? Also Ted had mentioned that his 860 big bore uses a steel sleeve to prevent any issues with thin cylinder walls, anyone try one of those out yet?

Haulin and doc have the 840 strokers on here . One is terra alps and the other is iantomasi.

I have the shim, cat cast pistons,ported cylinder, just under12:1 heads, machined valves,pcv with timing and fuel,pipes.

All three packages run very well and all close in hp and torque. There all around 22-25 + more hp and 13-15 ft lbs more torque. All tried on two different Dyno shops ( jaws and dtr)

I'm working on more resistors for exhaust as the last test with my hot pipe switch didn't work so good at dtr awhile back. More ideas on that coming

Always working on something.
Machining primary's and making titanium wrist pins with dlc as we speak

Haulin and doc have the 840 strokers on here . One is terra alps and the other is iantomasi.

I have the shim, cat cast pistons,ported cylinder, just under12:1 heads, machined valves,pcv with timing and fuel,pipes.

All three packages run very well and all close in hp and torque. There all around 22-25 + more hp and 13-15 ft lbs more torque. All tried on two different Dyno shops ( jaws and dtr)

I'm working on more resistors for exhaust as the last test with my hot pipe switch didn't work so good at dtr awhile back. More ideas on that coming

Always working on something.
Machining primary's and making titanium wrist pins with dlc as we speak

iantomasi is in the states right? I wasn't aware that he was doing work on the CFI's, that's good to know. A hot pipe switch is a pretty cool idea, unfortunately the connection for the pipe temp sensor has changed for 2018. Hopefully Polaris isn't using a proprietary connector which would probably make it difficult to add a resistor w/out splicing wires, not really an issue if your warranty is already voided.

Iantomassi is in Bowmanville Ontario. Their shop includes most machinery needed plus a Dyno on site and a test track. Not many shops can say that. Top notch guys that are super nice and knowledgable.

Do you have a spec sheet on wiring changes made ?

No information other than the fact they're using a sealed connection now instead of just two bullet connectors. This required a new pipe temp sensor and new pipe part# to accept the new sensor since the size of the sensor has changed as well, all information that I got from some engineers at the dealer show. They don't even have the electronic shop manuals available for us yet so I can't get you any wiring info atm.

The exhaust probe length ,location and expected pipe heat keeps it under were its timing is retarded.

Been trying different things on Dyno . Location has changed pipe heat 100+ degrees.
Working on different probe lengths and resistance to get it were it needs to be

working on turbo 2 stroke stuff, want 200 hp on Gregs dyno on pump gas ,I'm 15 hp short at the moment..good stuff in the shop to get me over that hump hopefully

You fabricating your own turbo setup or purchasing an existing kit? We set up a customers AXYS with SLP exhaust, team tied, and our own clutching and the sled runs pretty good. I can't imagine what 180hp+ feels like.

It's on a 155 SKS with a 1" track with seemingly a thousand chisels and wide trail front end too. Ridiculous.

The kit I started with is a Boondocker GT tuner series, GTX2860,water to air cooler, and auxiliary injectors, custom cut head. Its wicked,been tweeking all winter with clutching and fueling. Its cool to cruise down the trail at 70 mph and pull the skies off the snow with a 155 with straight rails, top end is crazy and was using a 1.5 track for trail riding.Switching to the 1 inch for good with the 10 tooth drivers.

It's definitely a lot of work to setup a turbo sled. How many PSI of boost can you run on pump gas? We had a Silber kit on a 2012 pro rmk and it never ran well. Customer didn't have enough money for us to spend time diagnosing the sled so he ended up getting rid of the turbo. He had a stock head modified locally by someone that probably didn't really know what they were doing, sled still ended up detonating at 8 psi even with a mix of VP c16. Made it difficult to clutch because the sled wasn't making much power w/out boost with the low comp head.

This was last years chassis mod: put a 14 wide 144 hacksaw in my pro x switch back. Custom rails with 8 inch rear wheels and 10 tooth drivers(2.52) , and geared. Trail manners are great, wicked acceleration and top end. Excellent mod imo..

IMG_0098.JPG

Finished product..

Hi Doc. Awesome job on the stretch Was wondering could a guy go to 144 on a shorty ? Do the idlers come on those rails or are they modified to fit. Is that also the 840 I've heard so much about ? Thanks for sharing pics.

you could stretch anything, you would just have to have a different tail piece made.. I wanted it to look factory.jamie stretched a shorty to 128, there are pictures of it somewhere. And yes the 144 pro -xc is powered by the 840..

Wouldn't stretching a 120 to a 144 really throw off the geometry of the pro xc? The pivot arm would only be like a 1/3 of the way from the rear axle. Not to mention a rear tail section that would have to be extended somehow. And with how close the cooler is that would sound tricky. Not saying this can't all be done on a 120 but it sounds like a huge PITA vs. just starting with a 137

Back
Top Bottom