• We have updated the site to the latest version. You will be required to log in to make sure your account is active. There are quite a few new functions so it will take a little time to get use to it. Please post if you see or have any issues.

Summer Projects

Yea that's me. I don't race, just trail ride so generally I'm in good snow conditions. Good snow allows me to get away with little to no idler wheels. Takes HP to turn wheels! If I start to have slide wear issues I'll run a set of Hyperfax and that'll be the end of it. I'm not sure that there is any benefit to billet wheels, at one point I had some 10 inch plastic wheels on my 144 FST.
Hyperfax vs DuPont? What are your opinions?

I feel that Hyperfax are the best slides you could purchase for a snowmobile. DuPont's work better than OEM slides but I don't know if they could hold up to heat as well as the Hyperfax. I'm not too familiar with the Vespel plastic that is used in the DuPont slides but the material used in Hyperfax has some graphite in it so it provides some lubrication when getting hot. There are people with 30,000+ miles on Hyperfax slides. Polaris had received some slides in the 90s when these were being developed and they said they got 500 miles on a set on asphalt and they showed very minimal wear.

Wow. I imagine they're not cheap, but if they last forever it would be worth it

They're roughly $200. Definitely worth it if you have the money. It's difficult for me to justify because we can get 10,000 miles out of a set of slides if we have decent snow conditions. Luckily the Polaris profile hasn't changed in a while so you could easily take them off and put them on a new sled. We had a 2000 prototype XC 600 SP that had a set since new and with 19,000 miles they're still kicking around somewhere.

They're roughly $200. Definitely worth it if you have the money. It's difficult for me to justify because we can get 10,000 miles out of a set of slides if we have decent snow conditions. Luckily the Polaris profile hasn't changed in a while so you could easily take them off and put them on a new sled. We had a 2000 prototype XC 600 SP that had a set since new and with 19,000 miles they're still kicking around somewhere.
Do you mean the early release Edge? The 2000 XCSP 600 ves Gen 2 wasn't a prototype.

I feel that Hyperfax are the best slides you could purchase for a snowmobile. DuPont's work better than OEM slides but I don't know if they could hold up to heat as well as the Hyperfax. I'm not too familiar with the Vespel plastic that is used in the DuPont slides but the material used in Hyperfax has some graphite in it so it provides some lubrication when getting hot. There are people with 30,000+ miles on Hyperfax slides. Polaris had received some slides in the 90s when these were being developed and they said they got 500 miles on a set on asphalt and they showed very minimal wear.
I know the guy who invented the Vespel sliders. Met him totally by accident at Beausejour at the oval races. Anyways they are good for 1200 degrees before they start to melt is what he told me.

I know the guy who invented the Vespel sliders. Met him totally by accident at Beausejour at the oval races. Anyways they are good for 1200 degrees before they start to melt is what he told me.

Do you use them Ed?

Do you use them Ed?
Not yet but I do have a set that I will be installing on my Assault. The whole hyfax isn't made of Vespel as that would be incredibly expensive. There are little notches cut in the hyfax and the Vespel is in little pieces put in the hyfax at around 45 degrees.

Great to see you here! It's a great site with no drama and lots of knowledge. I'm ready for new slides on my sled and interested in the ones you've mentioned, do you have a link?

These have been around for awhile. Their a good product . The trade off I've seen over the years is hyper fax sliders are so hard they wear out track clips. Not saying they don't work. Just what I've seen .

I run stock and DuPonts and heat them up good to break them in and they seem to work good?

Both have same et's on timers but one lasts longer.

The way I've seen it is? Use hyper fax and replace track clips. Use duponts or stock and replace sliders.

What do you think?

Have you seen any track clip wear with hyper slides ?

I'd much rather replace slides than clips. A slide change is a 10 minute super simple job if they slide in/out easily. Never changed clips but that sounds like a PITA

Do you mean the early release Edge? The 2000 XCSP 600 ves Gen 2 wasn't a prototype.

The dealers would receive prototypes early enough in the spring that they could get some mileage on them and give feedback to the manufactures, these were pre-productions selds. The model as a whole wasn't a protype but the one we had was because we had gotten it in the April of 1999 and put 1000 miles of lake riding on it before the season ended. One of the best sleds Polaris ever made.

Great to see you here! It's a great site with no drama and lots of knowledge. I'm ready for new slides on my sled and interested in the ones you've mentioned, do you have a link?

The drama free aspect is what brought me here. I know you can order them from SLP among some other companies, but we get them direct from the source as it's only 40 miles from us.

These have been around for awhile. Their a good product . The trade off I've seen over the years is hyper fax sliders are so hard they wear out track clips. Not saying they don't work. Just what I've seen .

I run stock and DuPonts and heat them up good to break them in and they seem to work good?

Both have same et's on timers but one lasts longer.

The way I've seen it is? Use hyper fax and replace track clips. Use duponts or stock and replace sliders.

What do you think?

Have you seen any track clip wear with hyper slides ?

To be completely honest, I've never seen clips get worn from them and this is the first I ever hear of it. I've never personally used them on anything but snow though, and to be honest they probably never really got hot on any of our sleds considering we can get close to 10000 miles on oem slides in the conditions we ride in. The inventor started playing around with slides looking for speed. He was huge into racing, had turbo XLT's, 650's and was really into the 488 fans. Would set them up to beat a lot of big bore liquid cooled sleds. His deal was effeciency and speed. But when people started buying them they saw a huge increase in fuel economy on the Polaris Xtra 12 suspension. I know a lot of Iron dog teams run Hiperfax, but they're looking for durability, not necessarily longevity.

The dealers would receive prototypes early enough in the spring that they could get some mileage on them and give feedback to the manufactures, these were pre-productions selds. The model as a whole wasn't a protype but the one we had was because we had gotten it in the April of 1999 and put 1000 miles of lake riding on it before the season ended. One of the best sleds Polaris ever made.
That really doesn't answer my question. How about this way. Are you talking about a Edge or Gen 2 chassis based prototype?

Oh sorry, gen II. First year of the 600 VES and only year with it in the Gen II

Gen 2 was not a first year in 2000. It came out in 1999. The 600 ves motor yes in 2000. I would not call that combo prototype. I still have a 2000 XCSP 600 ves.

I guess I didn't explain it good enough. That model was not a prototype, but our snowmobile was. It was called a prototype because they were pre-productions units. Some dealers had the option to get these sleds to put miles on them before they were on the assembly line.

I just remember years back that a set of sliders that were supposed to be the best out there. They wore the track clips a little . I'm not 100% sure it was hyper fax ?
Could have been a shitty track too?

Back
Top Bottom